• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil Judgements vs Refunds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shashmk

What is the name of your state? Texas
My little sister is in the process of filing her federal taxes. She is using turbo tax, but has a civil lien on her credit report. Turbo tax does not ask for this information. My question is, will the judgement be taken out of her refund?

S

seniorjudge

shashmk said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
My little sister is in the process of filing her federal taxes. She is using turbo tax, but has a civil lien on her credit report. Turbo tax does not ask for this information. My question is, will the judgement be taken out of her refund?
Q: My question is, will the judgement be taken out of her refund?

A: You should ask the judgment creditor this question.

shashmk

the person that sued her is a man tht we actually had to get a restraining order on for harassing her (this was all over her dog 'causing' a fight between two other dogs). Anyway, she can not contact him. Is there any other way? I have googled and can't find anything, and she has never had any "credit" problems so she is not sure of the laws. She attempted a payment arrangement through the courts to him and he refused, wanting it all in one lump sum (about $2000)

S

seniorjudge

shashmk said:
the person that sued her is a man tht we actually had to get a restraining order on for harassing her (this was all over her dog 'causing' a fight between two other dogs). Anyway, she can not contact him. Is there any other way? I have googled and can't find anything, and she has never had any "credit" problems so she is not sure of the laws. She attempted a payment arrangement through the courts to him and he refused, wanting it all in one lump sum (about $2000)
Then I guess she will have to file her return and see what happens.

shashmk

hehehe, that is kind of what I told her. I actually suggested she have a tax professional do them for her, I know I should have. The laws are complicated and "ignorance" is no excuse. Thank you seniorjudge, I aopreciate you taking the time to answer me :p

Snipes5

She can call 1-800-304-3107 and they will tell her if her refund will be offset.

She may have to wait until after her return is filed to do that, however. It's an automated number, definitely worth a try.

She can also contact the court. Normally, an individual cannot put a lien against a tax return, it has to be done by a state or government agency.

Snipes

S

seniorjudge

shashmk said:
hehehe, that is kind of what I told her. I actually suggested she have a tax professional do them for her, I know I should have. The laws are complicated and "ignorance" is no excuse. Thank you seniorjudge, I aopreciate you taking the time to answer me :p
You are welcome and take a look at snipes5's post; I don't even fill out my own tax returns. Best to pay attention to someone who knows something about taxes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">