• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UC Law in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmciambriello

What is the name of your state? PA
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?PA

After working for 18 years at a major telecommunications firm I was laid off. I collected UC benefits for 6 months, afterwhich I received a letter from the PA UC office telling me that if I made 6X my weekly benefit during the next 6 months, I would be able to reopen my claim. Since I could not go back to the telecom job I started doing transcription work for a local court stenographer. There was no contract signed - everything was verbal. I used her equipment and paper. The work was done in my home. The information I transcribed dealt with commutations of Workmens comp cases (highly confidential). During that time I also completed a temporary contractual position for another telecom company. I made the necessary $$ in the allotted time frame and since I still could not find full time employment in my field, I reopened my UC claim and started to receive benefits. The employer (court stenographer) filed an appeal and the referee reversed the decision and denied my benefits. What can I do? Should I appeal? I don't want to take anything that is not rightfully mine, but I also don't want to lose money here. One more point to note is that I now have secured permanent part-time employment at a local university (wages are 1/10 of what I used to make at telecom company). Shouldn't I still be entitled to collect partial benefits? Thank you so much.

pattytx

Probably the reason no one has responded to your post(s) yet (didn't I see this same question in another forum) is that we have no idea if you should appeal or not. You have nothing to lose by appealing, however; doesn't cost you anything except time. The adjudicators obviously know more about PA UC requirements than we do. If you have any facts to dispute the ruling, why not?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">