• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability & Medicare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I posted on this board about 7+ months ago about my father.

My father is currently collecting Social Security Disability, and we are wondering when he will be eligible for Medicare coverage.

My father became disabled March 29th, 2004. That was the last day that he could actually work, so I guess that's when he became disabled.

From March 29th 2004 - until mid August, my father did not apply for Social Security Disability. But in mid August, I helped him fill out the paperwork, and send them all in.

On September 19th, 2004 he had to see a doctor for an examination. About one month later (October), he received a letter in the mail stating that he was approved for Social Security Disability.

I have read that you will recieve your Medicare benefits when you have been disabled for 24 months. Does this mean from the date that he was disabled (March 29th, 2004) or from the date that THEY found him to be disabled (which would have been in October that the letter came.)

I have had a hard time finding correct information on the SS website, and when I try to call, I have to wait too long, and cannot spend that much time on the phone at work.

Would anyone know this?
Any replies are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
~ Kari ~ :)

tigger22472

Unless he has a terminal illness he has to wait until he's been approved for SSDI for two years to qualify for Medicare generally.

Example... my husband was disabled June 2002, applied in August and October of 2002. He was finally approved in June of 2003 and payments for SSD (not to be confused with SSI) went back to December of 2002. He became eligible for Medicare in December of 2004.

Just a little warning.. it's around 70$ a month and unless he has lots of doctor visits it really does very little. They don't pay 100% of things and their perscription 'benefits' aren't even benefits so I wouldn't be jumping for joy when you do get it. The only real benefit is that before you get the deductible paid they tell the doctors what is 'clear and reasonable' and that's all they can charge the patient or Medicare.

Thank you so much for your reply. It was very informative for me!

I *think* that they gave my father back pay from August 2004 (when he first applied)...so then I would be assuming that in August 2006 he will be eligible for Medicare.

I've already told my father not to get his hopes up about Medicare. He now knows that they will not pay for every little thing.

Since my father has become disabled, he has not had any health insurance, therefore he is not going to the doctor's like he should.

He has diabetes, and though he should be on insulin, he currently depends on samples of glucophage he gets from a clinic near his home. He also has breathing difficulties, and also gets samples of his different inhalers. Without the samples that he gets, I don't know what he would do.

Even if Medicare would help cover the cost of some of these medications, it would be better than where he is at now.

But thanks so much again for the reply - it is truly appreciated! :)

~ Kari ~

BlondiePB

kari, go into the pharamceutical manufacturer websites for your dad's needed prescriptions. There are programs available from the manufacturers that can help for very little or no cost. When dad becomes eligible for Medicare, have him sign up on a Medicare HMO. Some of these HMOs have pretty good prescription plans and very little or no co-payments for medical care. Medicare does not pay for prescriptions. There's no need for dad to go without all the medications that he requires when there's other ways to obtain all the meds he needs.

BL

karihager1982 said:

My father is currently collecting Social Security Disability, and we are wondering when he will be eligible for Medicare coverage.

My father became disabled March 29th, 2004. That was the last day that he could actually work, so I guess that's when he became disabled.

From March 29th 2004 - until mid August, my father did not apply for Social Security Disability. But in mid August, I helped him fill out the paperwork, and send them all in.

On September 19th, 2004 he had to see a doctor for an examination. About one month later (October), he received a letter in the mail stating that he was approved for Social Security Disability.

I have read that you will recieve your Medicare benefits when you have been disabled for 24 months. Does this mean from the date that he was disabled (March 29th, 2004) or from the date that THEY found him to be disabled (which would have been in October that the letter came.)

I have had a hard time finding correct information on the SS website, and when I try to call, I have to wait too long, and cannot spend that much time on the phone at work.

Would anyone know this?
Thanks,
It most likely would be calculated from when SSA found him disabled eligible .

Make sense ?

If he is under the retirement age and now receives state aid , I'd call the state aid medical department and insist they pay the Medicare premiums , that is not take it out of the disability checks . Otherwise if state aid pays the medical bills don't sign up for Medicare until he absolutely has to .

bjl1105

Depending on his monthly benefit amount, the state may determine him eligble for Medicaid with prescription coverage. Apply through your local Social Services office. You can also try an internet search "free prescription drugs" and you will find many organizations that give free meds to those who cannot afford them. Good luck. Medicare begins 24 months after the first month of entitlement. Date of entitlement 12/01/2002 would allow Medicare to begin 12/01/2004. Entitlement usually begins 5 months after the date the disability was established.

karihager1982 said:

Would anyone know this?
Thanks,

bjl1105

This is the SSA link to the website regarding medicare benefits:
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=400

What are the requirements to receive Medicare benefits?

If You Are Under 65
Before age 65, you are eligible for Medicare hospital insurance if you:

get Social Security disability benefits and have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's) disease;

or
have been a Social Security disability beneficiary for 24 months; :)

or
have worked long enough in a federal, state, or local government job and you meet the requirements of the Social Security disability program.

T

tommy 522

medicare

Medicare is not the greatest but you will not! find another insurance policy that payes like it does for approximately $70.00 a month ! i am on cobra and payed $291.00 a month and it went up to $25.00 a month in january and its not much better than medicare i had to drop insurance because of the premium and now waiting for medicare to go in to effect in june . i would pay dubble the premium to get it , i went to emergency room for asthma and got a bill for $ 1,600.00 not counting doctors bill . and i have no insurance . so dont let anyone put down medicare it our only hope!!! for the old and sick.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">