• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

past due support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kurt56

What is the name of your state? Florida
I have recieved a letter saying they are going to take my past due support from my income tax return. It was a 5000. dollar bill I was told that is what I owe the state. the total bill was 10700. I was told the balance was for the ex. the kid is of age and I am now wondering if I have paid the state can I try for a settlement for the wife/

VeronicaGia

kurt56 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida
I have recieved a letter saying they are going to take my past due support from my income tax return. It was a 5000. dollar bill I was told that is what I owe the state. the total bill was 10700. I was told the balance was for the ex. the kid is of age and I am now wondering if I have paid the state can I try for a settlement for the wife/
I'm confused. Are you saying you OWE the IRS or that you are getting a refund? Since you call it a "bill" it confused me. If you owe the IRS, they won't get a penny. If it is a refund, they'll take it.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The way I understood it is that he owes back support to the state (probably for benefits the ex received) as well as back support to Mom. His tax refund will apparently take care of what he owes the state, and now he wants to try & settle with the ex for something less than what he owes.

Whew - that's a lot of between-line reading!

sundancer

It won't hurt to try

It won't hurt to try to settle, but it is probably too late. It is in the system already. The IRS won't fool around. If something is said to be owed like child support or alimony you can probably kiss it good bye. The IRS will send it directly to the agency it is owed to. You may never even see it.

kurt56

child support

I have paid off the irs or the part the state was going to collect from the irs. what I want to know is how to go about settling the balance owed the mother since it is 20 year old. At 35 dollars a week It will be awhile before she is paid so do I have a chance of her settlinf for less if it is in a lump sum. I live in florida

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
kurt56 said:
I have paid off the irs or the part the state was going to collect from the irs. what I want to know is how to go about settling the balance owed the mother since it is 20 year old. At 35 dollars a week It will be awhile before she is paid so do I have a chance of her settlinf for less if it is in a lump sum. I live in florida
That is up to her. Why should she settle with you? Why do you feel that you don't owe her the money she fronted to support the child you both created?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Dude - instead of PMing me that I'm negative - how about you answer the question? WHY do you think Mom should settle with you when you couldn't be bothered helping support your kid(s)?

(edit) and it is not "manbashing" to ask the above. You apparently had a court order to help support your kid(s). You apparently ignored it. Who the eff cares if you're a guy or gal? I sure don't. All I care about is that your kid(s) weren't supported by their parent as they should have been.

Last edited:

CJane

In some states, can't children sue for owed support once they reach the age of majority?

And someday, could someone please explain to me why so many people who are supposed to pay support claim that they shouldn't have to support the CP? Do they totally fail to see that it's CHILD support?

Yeah, I know I'm ranting.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
However, please be advised that I welcome any and all PMs legitimately promising fame, fortune and wealth. I'd settle for a booty call, tho. :eek:

BelizeBreeze

stealth2 said:
However, please be advised that I welcome any and all PMs legitimately promising fame, fortune and wealth. I'd settle for a booty call, tho. :eek:
BOOTY CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

BelizeBreeze

stealth2 said:
(edit) and it is not "manbashing" to ask the above. You apparently had a court order to help support your kid(s). You apparently ignored it. Who the eff cares if you're a guy or gal? I sure don't. All I care about is that your kid(s) weren't supported by their parent as they should have been.
I don't care if it IS man-bashing. This 'man' (gawd, I hate using that term for this 'person') has been given a legitimate question to answer and until he does, no one should be entertaining him.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Oh, I agree, Beebs. I only included the manbashing thing 'cause that's what he called it in his PM to me. Although he kindly told me that I was welcome to respond to him if I did so in positive terms. I thought that was sweet. I love when some idjit decides to give me permission to post on a public forum. ;)

(edit - but it hurt my feeeeeeeeelings that he didn't like my sig line. It's apparently not very original. :( )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">