• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit rating-employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeffb58

What is the name of your state?Oregon

I recently have had some interviews and as part of a condition for employment a background check and credit check was required. On all occassions I was denied employment based on my credit score. Is this fair? Since when does your credit score indicate the type of employee a person you are. It should also be noted that on each occasion I openly told all of the employers that I had a poor rating due to being a single parent not receiving child support and had to make some choices- feed/cloth/provide shelter for my 2 kids or pay a credit card bill. Since I am unable to repay the credit bills until I can get a better paying job, is my best option to file bankruptcy or is there a way to get around this new policy of a credit check for employment?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It may or may not be fair, but it is legal.

I can't advise you as to whether you should file bankrupcy or not. I don't have enough information and it's not for me to say anyway. I can tell you that no, there is no way of "getting around" the credit check. If the employer wants to do a credit check, they may, and they may refuse to hire you if you do not submit to it.

Not all employers do credit checks as part of the background check. I don't know what kind of jobs you are applying for, but try to stay away from ones where you have to handle money, jobs in the finance industry or accounts payable jobs. Those are the kinds of jobs where good credit are most important.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">