• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old Warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SebastianT

What is the name of your state? Maine

I have an old warrant in Maine for Assault. I don't plan on ever going up there to turn myself in. A few years ago, I was arrested for something (details aren't necessary) in Florida where I currently live. While arrested I was detained while they decided to extradite me. I never was and was later released on bail. A few years after my arrest I went on 2 cruises that went out of the US. Only once upon returning to the US and going through customs was I detained again.
Customs held me for a few hours and released me. The agent said I should "take care of it" Why would Maine keep the warrant open if they have had several times to extradite me and have chosen not to? Should I basically call up the state attorney's office in the city where the warrant is for and ask them to drop it since they won't extradite me and I have no plans on turning myself in.

MovinSouth

If you don't get this warrant taken care of you will always have problems with it. Its hanging over you like a dark cloud. You should not run from this because it will always come back at you.

S

seniorjudge

Q: Why would Maine keep the warrant open if they have had several times to extradite me and have chosen not to?

A: Only the Maine authorities know the answer to that question.

Q: Should I basically call up the state attorney's office in the city where the warrant is for and ask them to drop it since they won't extradite me and I have no plans on turning myself in.

A: Yes, you can do that. Don't be surprised if they fall off their chair laughing.

SebastianT

seniorjudge said:
Q: Should I basically call up the state attorney's office in the city where the warrant is for and ask them to drop it since they won't extradite me and I have no plans on turning myself in.

A: Yes, you can do that. Don't be surprised if they fall off their chair laughing.
Ok I was looking for some kind of insight as to why I wasn't extradited. I guess I could very easily hand a lawyer a check for a few thousand dollars and I'm sure they would dispose of it. I don't plan on going to Maine anytime soon and I could care less if I'm detained. So much for getting a straight answer,

S

seniorjudge

SebastianT said:
Ok I was looking for some kind of insight as to why I wasn't extradited. I guess I could very easily hand a lawyer a check for a few thousand dollars and I'm sure they would dispose of it. I don't plan on going to Maine anytime soon and I could care less if I'm detained. So much for getting a straight answer,
I did give you a straight answer:

Q: Why would Maine keep the warrant open if they have had several times to extradite me and have chosen not to?

A: Only the Maine authorities know the answer to that question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">