• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help With Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SoulIntake

California.... at Fry's Electronics my cousin stole a video card that is 399.99 exactly without tax. He is a minor, only 16 years old. This happened last night. He was caught by loss prevention (Fry's Security) and a cop came to talk to him and whatnot. He was very cooperative and polite to everyone. They called his dad to come pick him up.. I'm not sure if they gave his dad a citation or not... but they said something is coming in the mail. My question is this... what kind of shoplifting is this anyway... the cop said he is a real nice boy and looks like he made a stupid mistake... so will he get in trouble? is this grand theft? what is going to happen?

CdwJava

If they decide to add in the tax, then it's grand theft. If they don't, then it's petty theft.

If he is a juvenile, he will likely receive a notice to go in and speak with a juvenile probation officer OR to go to court for a hearing. if he has no priors, and is an otherwise good kid, then he will likely face a couple years of probation, restitution, a fine, and community service ... the exact proportions will vary by county.

- Carl

SoulIntake

so... if it is petty theft,, im pretty positive they wont add in the tax.. and his dad is a great lawyer, its in orange county... he will have to be on probation and everything?

CdwJava

SoulIntake said:
so... if it is petty theft,, im pretty positive they wont add in the tax.. and his dad is a great lawyer, its in orange county... he will have to be on probation and everything?
Will he "HAVE" to be? No. Is he likely to be? Yeah.

- Carl

aznkikaz

Wow... I just got caught in March in the City of Industires Fry's Electronics... they arrested me and booked me, total was about 120 dollars. Cop said I just made a stupid mistake and Im a good kid, first time offense and an AP student. I am scared beyond belief right now, court date in May and my parents will give me a lawyer... tell you cousin that I feel what he's going through

BTW im 16 years old too.. worst time ever because of the SATs and such

the_peanutman

Hello,

I apologize for resurrecting such an old thread, but recently, I was caught under similar terms, except the value of the property was under $60, and I am currently 20 years old. I am very confused about this whole process of appearing in court. I've read a lots advice suggesting I speak with an attorney, but I am currently a dependent colleege student, and can not afford one. Is there anyone at the court house that could provide me with similar services?

I really appreciate any amount of help.

Antigone*

Hello,

I apologize for resurrecting such an old thread, but recently, I was caught under similar terms, except the value of the property was under $60, and I am currently 20 years old. I am very confused about this whole process of appearing in court. I've read a lots advice suggesting I speak with an attorney, but I am currently a dependent colleege student, and can not afford one. Is there anyone at the court house that could provide me with similar services?

I really appreciate any amount of help.
Don't be a nut....start your own thread:rolleyes:

dave33

Soulintake, Carl is much more familiiar with CA. law. I just wanted to say that what you could receive in the mail is a civil demand if applicable inCA.goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">