• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

viking99

What is the name of your state? Ga.

I was hired in July 04 and was terminated from the program (not from the company...although all of the exiting paperwork was in reference to leaving the company)for not consistanly performing my duties. Also they specifically site that by my own admission I did not know how to use Prism(propreitary company software). Does a company have the obligation to train you in software that you can only learn from them? When one takes a job, is it not implied or expected that you will be provided with the tools to do your job? I have to use their dispute program as I signed paperwork saying that
I would. This has cost me $63k. I'm trying to find out what chances of success i may have with a dispute resolution program that provides an Mediator and or Arbitrator?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The answer to both of your questions is no. Barring a bona fide, enforceable contract that says otherwise, the company has no legal obligation to provide you with training; there is no implication that they have to do so. It may or may not be unwise or foolish of them to fail to do so, but there is nothing illegal it if they don't.

Not knowing anything about how your employer deals with such things there is no way to judge how you would fare in a dispute resolution.

What you describe does not come even remotely close to meeting the legal definition of a wrongful termination.

viking99

Aren't they required to at least give you some sort of review that informs you of your purported wrongdoing? It just seems that if the only place you could learn a piece of proprietary software was from the company, and you needed that knowledge to do your job, it would be understood that they would provide that training, otherwise why would you quit a sure job that you had to take theirs?

Beth3

Aren't they required to at least give you some sort of review that informs you of your purported wrongdoing? No.

It just seems that if the only place you could learn a piece of proprietary software was from the company, and you needed that knowledge to do your job, it would be understood that they would provide that training, otherwise why would you quit a sure job that you had to take theirs? While I agree it makes no sense to hire someone and then not provide the necessary training in order for them to succeed in their job, they aren't legally obligated to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">