• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smhteddybears63

What is the name of your state? PA

I was working for a state approved day care center in PA. My brother died on 3/3/05. I told the assistant director on 3/4/05 what had happened and that I would notify her or the director (whichever one was in) when the funeral would be. On 3/7/05 I told the assistant director that the funeral would be on 3/11. I also left a note for the director informing her that I would need to leave early on 3/10 due to family needs. While I was attending the funeral, the director left a voice mail message on my tape machine stating I was fired due to complaints she had received from parents and staff. Please note, at no time was I ever reprimanded, warned, or questioned about parent's or staff member's concerns. The director is white and I'm african-amercian. I don't want to think this is racially triggered, but what else can I think when she never approached me directly. Do I have any options? Thank you for your time and consideration.

Beth3

No laws require an employer to discipline you or inform you of job performance problems before terminating you. While I think leaving someone a voice mail saying he or she is terminated is a very poor way to handle a termination, and doing so while someone is off on funeral leave is appalling, it wasn't illegal.

Unless there's some valid reason to believe your race is the underlying reason for your termination, then this is not a wrongful termination.

My condolences on the loss of your brother.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">