• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

personal expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doid

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I travel often for my job and occaisionally am required to outlay a portion of the expenses in support of the trip. Usually I receive payment from the company aftre I've filed my expense report. If I leave my job voluntarily before I have received payment is my employer required to repay me?

eerelations

If your boss has approved (i.e., signed on the "approved" line) the expense report before you leave, then for sure they will have to reimburse you, even if you have to take 'em to small claims court to get it. In case you do, make sure you keep copies of everything - bills, receipts, and most especially a copy of the "approved" (with your boss' signature) expense report.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not in the US, eerelations. Techncially, they are not legally obligated to reimburse you under any circumstances. The law does not require an employer to repay personal expenses, with the possible exception of California.

However, if they have always reimbursed you before now, there's really no reason to assume they won't this time.

eerelations

It's the same in Canada. HOWEVER, I think that if he gets a written approval to pay from his boss, he will have a very good case to make before a small claims court judge should it come to that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Quite possibly. I've never understood why so many states do not offer any protection in this area.

However, at this point we are only theorizing that the boss has approved them; the employee turning in the request does not guarantee that they have been approved. In addition, there's really no reason to assume that the employer is going to try to avoid paying; the poster has provided no evidence to that effect. I don't know how many times I've had someone worrying that the employer would take this or that negative action against them, only to find that the employer had no intention of doing anything of the kind.

The fact remains that whatever a small claims court might decide, there is no law requiring that the employer pay personal expenses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">