• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

years of ssi

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tasja

What is the name of your state?New Jersey
I have a sister who has mental illness and has been recieving ssi for a substantial amount of time from 14 and she is now 37 and still doesnt work.I help her best as I can.Is it really all she can get the 600 dollars payment?She has two children and will probably be helping since they are 16 and 17 they can work now but is that realisticly real?She was in foster care and abandoned as an adult living and struggling mentally, and financially because of the childhood horrers is that all the state is prepared to offer her to live?Or is there other funds she can be entitled to she doesnt know about?

BL

tasja said:
I have a sister who has mental illness and has been recieving ssi for a substantial amount of time from 14 and she is now 37 and still doesnt work.I help her best as I can.Is it really all she can get the 600 dollars payment?She has two children and will probably be helping since they are 16 and 17 they can work now but is that realisticly real?She was in foster care and abandoned as an adult living and struggling mentally, and financially because of the childhood horrers is that all the state is prepared to offer her to live?Or is there other funds she can be entitled to she doesnt know about?
She should apply ( or take a representative with her ) to apply for state aid ( welfare for an older term ) in addition to her SSI income for the 16 and 17 year old . She should be entitled to a grant , food stamps if eligible , and medical assistance .

Be aware some states include the SSA recipients income now as household income when budgeting State aids .

Once the minor children reach 18 or 19 if still in school , she should still be entitled to medical and food stamps , utility assistances , Etc .

SSA does have back to work programs that IF she works and makes under a certain amount $830.00 per month I believe , she can keep both incomes .

This is an incentive to attempt to see if the recipient is able to find and maintain gainful employment .

Other options are side jobs ( keeping the lips zipped ) for extra needed income .

Last edited:

bjl1105

tasja said:
In NJ, $610.25 is the maximum SSI benefit available (unless you live in a residential health care facility). She could apply for Low Income Housing (through HUD). Her rent would only be 30% of her income. She could also apply for Food Stamps (through County Social Services office). All processes take long, but are worthwhile . She could check with her county social services for any potential benefits for the children. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">