• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJG1982

What is the name of your state? Colorado
I have a quick question about health insurance. I just got a notice from the CSE that I need to provide health insurance for my daughter. I'm wanting to know if the amount that is taken out of my check for the health insurance for my daughter is $40, would that be taken off of what I pay in child support? For example, I pay $350/month in child support and now the health insurance portion for my daughter is going to be $40, would the support be lowered by that $40 down to $310? Thanks for any help.

LdiJ

CJG1982 said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado
I have a quick question about health insurance. I just got a notice from the CSE that I need to provide health insurance for my daughter. I'm wanting to know if the amount that is taken out of my check for the health insurance for my daughter is $40, would that be taken off of what I pay in child support? For example, I pay $350/month in child support and now the health insurance portion for my daughter is going to be $40, would the support be lowered by that $40 down to $310? Thanks for any help.
No, if you are ordered to provide health insurance its in ADDITION to child support.

Silverplum

Did you adjudicate this health insurance coverage in mediation or court? I ask because it is odd for CO-CSE to contact you to tell you what your legal obligations are...that's more the job of the judge or magistrate! And I have NEVER had CSE check to ensure someone was providing health insurance. Then again, I've never been on welfare...is welfare somehow involved?

Sorry, but I'm just curious about how you worded your post.

LdiJ

Silverplum said:
Did you adjudicate this health insurance coverage in mediation or court? I ask because it is odd for CO-CSE to contact you to tell you what your legal obligations are...that's more the job of the judge or magistrate! And I have NEVER had CSE check to ensure someone was providing health insurance. Then again, I've never been on welfare...is welfare somehow involved?

Sorry, but I'm just curious about how you worded your post.
It happens all the time. Most frequently when the child is on welfare...but its also often as a result of a court order.

LdiJ

CJG1982 said:
The case worker told me that my daughter is on Medicaid.
Then that is why you are being ordered to provide medical insurance, so that the state no longer has to provide it to your child.

sundancer

Some states are different I guess. I would not expect the child support to go down if I were you. My ex is ordered to pay 140.00 per month and responsible for medical insurance. It states it seperatly in the divorce papers. Although he does niether. I'm glad some people do pay for their children.

haiku

you would need to check your state guidelines.

In my state the child support is either reduced or raised (depending on who is paying the premium) one half the cost of the premium.

MamaLlama

you may need to ask for CSE to be reviewed once you begin providing

There is a matrix in CO that allows you to list the expenditures including health insurance (on line 25) that each parent pays (ordered or not) and determines each parent's share.

NOTE: A modification in CO has to be at least a 10% change in the current order to be considered. ie if you pay 100.00 per month if you complete the worksheet and do not find that it lowers it by at least 10.00 it may be rejected.

http://www.courts.state.co.us/chs/court/forms/domestic/modifychildsupport.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">