• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I lower my child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JOSE469

What is the name of your state?

I live in Illinois and the person who filed child support against me lives and filed in TX. Right now I only earn minimum wage and work 25-30 hours per week and my payments are @ 108.00 every two weeks which leaves me with less than half of my paycheck. This amount includes back child support and 20 for medical. How can I get my payments lowered with very little or no money? I can't really afford a lawyer. Are there services out there for low income earners? Please help!

:(

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
$234 a month is not a huge support amount, dude. You should really look into either finding full time work, or taking a second job so that you can meet your obligation to your kid(s) and support yourself. Working 25-30 hours a week ain't gonna cut it.

mrsbrown

First off you do need to work harder at making more money to support yourself. That being said. Is the amount you are currently paying based on your current income amount? Or has your income lowered since the support was ordered? I was under the impression that either parent could request a modification of the child support amount. Do some research on that. But keep in mind that this is money to support your child...do you really want to be so cheap with your child?

my brother complained about how high his support payment were .. "how am i supposed to live, I have to support myself...."

He was told this -

The state doesn't care about YOU being supported, it's concern is the welfare of the child. If you have to work 3 jobs to put a roof over your head, then that's what you have to do.

It seems to me that you support payment is the way it is ( which by the way is normal) because you have not made some of your last payments thus causing arears. Well I guess that would be your fault. Like the other posters said... get another job. Your children should come first and I hate people that whine and complain about how it sucks that they are always broke becuase they have to support their child/ren. Hey you know what???? next time take these two options... Wear a rubber or keep your d&*k in you freicken pants. If you were married to this girl and you guy actually planned the pregnancy then you should have benn financially secure enought to support the child before you did this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">