• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Double Jeopardy Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kathleensmmns

Florida - I do not live in the state of Florida. The mother of my daughter does not live in Florida. Neither of us has lived in the State of Florida since our daughter's birth.

Prior to spending six weeks in Florida, attending classes for a CDL license, I was court ordered in the State of Tennessee to pay child support. My ex decided she would file for child support in the State of Florida, also.

Now I am in double jeopardy, being sued by two states.

For two years I have had child support garnished from my wages, including an additional $72.00 a month toward arrearages. However, current payments nor arrearages seem to be credited to my account in Tennessee, for which I have to appear in court at least every two months, resulting in my leaving my job to do so. If that's not bad enough, now the State of Florida is suing me for support on the same child!

Florida was court ordered to remove me from their child support list over a year ago. However, they continue to hound me. Now they are threatening to suspend my CDL license which is not even a Florida license, and happens to be my livlihood.

I am now going to sue the State of Florida and I need to know what to do to accomplish this. I am fed up and tired of being threatened by a State that has absolutely no legal jurisdiction over this case. I have contacted them many times, with no results.

Please advise me what to do

DO I NEED A FLORIDA ATTORNEY, OR IS IT POSSIBLE TO USE ONE FROM TENNESSEE?

Last edited:

LdiJ

kathleensmmns said:
Florida - I do not live in the state of Florida. The mother of my daughter does not live in Florida. Neither of us has lived in the State of Florida since our daughter's birth.

Prior to spending six weeks in Florida, attending classes for a CDL license, I was court ordered in the State of Tennessee to pay child support. My ex decided she would file for child support in the State of Florida, also.

Now I am in double jeopardy, being sued by two states.

For two years I have had child support garnished from my wages, including an additional $72.00 a month toward arrearages. However, current payments nor arrearages seem to be credited to my account in Tennessee, for which I have to appear in court at least every two months, resulting in my leaving my job to do so. If that's not bad enough, now the State of Florida is suing me for support on the same child!

Florida was court ordered to remove me from their child support list over a year ago. However, they continue to hound me. Now they are threatening to suspend my CDL license which is not even a Florida license, and happens to be my livlihood.

I am now going to sue the State of Florida and I need to know what to do to accomplish this. I am fed up and tired of being threatened by a State that has absolutely no legal jurisdiction over this case. I have contacted them many times, with no results.

Please advise me what to do
You are not the only person that his has happened to. It would be in your best interest to get an attorney to help you straighten it out.

S

seniorjudge

LdiJ said:
You are not the only person that his has happened to. It would be in your best interest to get an attorney to help you straighten it out.
Yes, time to get an attorney.

kat1963

DO I NEED A FLORIDA ATTORNEY, OR IS IT POSSIBLE TO USE ONE FROM TENNESSEE?[/QUOTE]

You need a pit bull attorney family law attorney licensed to practice in FLORIDA. It might be (remotely) possible to find one that practices in both states, but personally I’d go with local attorney (& one who knows the judge).

KAT

S

seniorjudge

kat1963 said:
DO I NEED A FLORIDA ATTORNEY, OR IS IT POSSIBLE TO USE ONE FROM TENNESSEE?
You need a pit bull attorney family law attorney licensed to practice in FLORIDA. It might be (remotely) possible to find one that practices in both states, but personally I’d go with local attorney (& one who knows the judge).

KAT[/QUOTE]
I agree and would add that it is probably highly likely that there are FL lawyers who are also still licensed in TN (retired lawyers and such...they make great lawyers; you always want a young doctor and an old lawyer.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">