• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deduct Mortgage Interest when Name not on Title?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ddiep

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

I am buying a house with my brother. We do not plan on having my name on Title of the house. However, I am a co-borrower on the mortgage and pays for the mortgage out of my checking account. Lender said it's ok to only have his name on the title and not mine.

Can I deduct the cost of the mortgage (points, interest, property taxes, etc.) on my federal and state income tax returns? The 1098 will be issued in both my name and his. Please advise. Thank you.

ddiep said:
What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

I am buying a house with my brother. We do not plan on having my name on Title of the house. However, I am a co-borrower on the mortgage and pays for the mortgage out of my checking account. Lender said it's ok to only have his name on the title and not mine.

Can I deduct the cost of the mortgage (points, interest, property taxes, etc.) on my federal and state income tax returns? The 1098 will be issued in both my name and his. Please advise. Thank you.
If you're paying the mortgage, yes you can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">