• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prenuptial or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Susie Alverzo

What is the name of your state? Florida, I have opened a business, my boyfriend is not an owner. We were considering getting married, but I heard that his ex-wife, can acquire a certain percentage of my profits, when we get married. So I have put the marriage on hold. The only problem is the hold would be until his youngest turns 18, which is in approximately 10 years. I really do not want to wait that long, but what are my options? She is very vendictive and makes no bones about telling me this. Will a prenuptial agreement be sufficient? Also, I am not going to be responsible for child support, as these children (2) are not mine. Please advise.

S

seniorjudge

Q: We were considering getting married, but I heard that his ex-wife, can acquire a certain percentage of my profits, when we get married.

A: You heard wrong.

Q: I really do not want to wait that long, but what are my options?

A: Get married now.

Q: Will a prenuptial agreement be sufficient?

A: For what?

LdiJ

Susie Alverzo said:
What is the name of your state? Florida, I have opened a business, my boyfriend is not an owner. We were considering getting married, but I heard that his ex-wife, can acquire a certain percentage of my profits, when we get married. So I have put the marriage on hold. The only problem is the hold would be until his youngest turns 18, which is in approximately 10 years. I really do not want to wait that long, but what are my options? She is very vendictive and makes no bones about telling me this. Will a prenuptial agreement be sufficient? Also, I am not going to be responsible for child support, as these children (2) are not mine. Please advise.
Well...you got good advice already but lets take into consideration the fact that you own a business....you may not have any child support issues to worry about however it might be wise to protect yourself "prenuptially" anyway.

haiku

don't put anything in the business in your husbands name......always keep your finances seprate from your husbands. if you are bringing property into the marriage keep your husbands name off it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">