• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former Employer Using My Email

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

former_employee

Hi, I'm in California. Not sure if the this is the appropriate category for my message, but hopefully it is close enough.

I recently left my job. My employer did not want to notify my clients that I had left out of fear they would no longer work with the company. I thought that was innappropriate at the time, but nevertheless, they still have not notified anyone I worked with that I am no longer an employee.

I've been gone for over 2 weeks now. Rather than having any emails sent to my old company address forwarded to another account, they are checking my emails and responding AS ME.

Not just in the auto signature (which they could delete) but by physically typing my name at the closing of their message.

Clearly this is ethically wrong. Is it illegal, I don't know.

I want them to stop immediately. The only reason I even know about it is someone who recieved a message forwarded a copy to me.

I'm appalled. Any advice?

former_employee

The issue was not ownership of the email account. They issue was signing my name in responses. I guess they own the right to represent themselves as me too?

BelizeBreeze

former_employee said:
The issue was not ownership of the email account. They issue was signing my name in responses. I guess they own the right to represent themselves as me too?
Listen, you want to cope an attitude find your answer elsewhere.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They own both the e-mail system and the e-mail address. They are entitled to use it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">