• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forced to sign non-compete

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cheesypoof

arialundefinedundefinedWhat is the name of your state?NC

My current employer is demanding that I sign a non-compete contract. Just passed 5th year. The contract states that I may not be an owner, agent or otherwise of a competing business for 18 months for a reasonable area surrounding my current employer. Not specific mileage. Does this limit me from being an employee in a competing business? This area is semi-rural. Clause also states that if I violate contract that I am responsible for their atty fees if they sue me. This meeting has been called for all employees at 8 tomorrow morning and it's sign or be fired. I'm not sure what is legal or what I should do. I'm not planning any career changes but my employers have been unscrupulous in the past. Help!! :confused:

BelizeBreeze

cheesypoof said:
arialundefinedundefinedWhat is the name of your state?NC

My current employer is demanding that I sign a non-compete contract. Just passed 5th year. The contract states that I may not be an owner, agent or otherwise of a competing business for 18 months for a reasonable area surrounding my current employer. Not specific mileage. Does this limit me from being an employee in a competing business? This area is semi-rural. Clause also states that if I violate contract that I am responsible for their atty fees if they sue me. This meeting has been called for all employees at 8 tomorrow morning and it's sign or be fired. I'm not sure what is legal or what I should do. I'm not planning any career changes but my employers have been unscrupulous in the past. Help!! :confused:
Talk about a rock and a hard place.

First, the employer has every right to demand you sign such an agreement.
Second, you have every right to tell the employer to stuff it.

Somewhere in the middle is where you need to be. Therefore, I suggest you go to the meeting with the following demands:

The No-compete will be reworded to include a 50-mile radius. There will also be specific language detailing exactly what is defined as a 'competing business'.

And last, you have three weeks from presentationof an agreement that is acceptable to both parties, to seek legal advice.

Otherwise, let your boss know that if this is not acceptable, the second he fires you or anyone else, you'll simply begin your own business right next door.

cheesypoof

forced to sign

There is no actual "clause" It is only a new copy of an employee handbook stating that I cannot be an owner, agent or otherwise. I will be forced to sign that I have rec'd copy of handbook. Does this constitute that I have signed a non-complete clause that is legally binding? or just that I have received a copy of the new handbook?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
See my answer to your other question in this forum. It works here, too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">