• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not sure how to proceed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

traceylynn172

What is the name of your state? Michigan
My problem is my daughter who is 18 gave birth to a son last year he is now 10 months old.
They have lived with her grandparents since before the child was born. She decided to go to tennesse to visit a friend and then decided she would not come back home. She has stated she will be back when she gets money to come get her son and her stuff. The problem is she has not in the entire time this child has been born takin resposiablity of him or her self she lived off her grandparents and they have totally supported this baby since he was born.
Now my mother is very upset that she will come here and take the baby only to not beable to take care of him and something happen to him. She is not a very mentally stable person to begin with for example she has not been able to keep any job she has had nor has she ever in the 10 months this baby has been alive take total care of him on her own.
We would like to know what we can do to stop her from taking this baby out of state and possably removing custody from her since she is unstable mentally. She can be a very mean person when she doesnt get what she wants and has used the baby to get what she wants out of her grandparents for example she wanted them to send her money on sunday when my mom refused she got very mean and informed my mom she was not coming home and was going to get a job and save money to come get her son. I am afrai something will happen to the child if she gets him and takes him out of state what can we do to keep this from happening?

LdiJ

traceylynn172 said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan
My problem is my daughter who is 18 gave birth to a son last year he is now 10 months old.
They have lived with her grandparents since before the child was born. She decided to go to tennesse to visit a friend and then decided she would not come back home. She has stated she will be back when she gets money to come get her son and her stuff. The problem is she has not in the entire time this child has been born takin resposiablity of him or her self she lived off her grandparents and they have totally supported this baby since he was born.
Now my mother is very upset that she will come here and take the baby only to not beable to take care of him and something happen to him. She is not a very mentally stable person to begin with for example she has not been able to keep any job she has had nor has she ever in the 10 months this baby has been alive take total care of him on her own.
We would like to know what we can do to stop her from taking this baby out of state and possably removing custody from her since she is unstable mentally. She can be a very mean person when she doesnt get what she wants and has used the baby to get what she wants out of her grandparents for example she wanted them to send her money on sunday when my mom refused she got very mean and informed my mom she was not coming home and was going to get a job and save money to come get her son. I am afrai something will happen to the child if she gets him and takes him out of state what can we do to keep this from happening?
I think that you need to explain the situation more carefully...I can't tell if you are the grandmother and its your parents who have the child or what.....or the actual situation. It matters.

traceylynn172

yes i am the grandmother and the child in question is my grandson. My grandson and my daughter were both residing with my parents (her grandparents and his great grandparents). The great grandparents and myself are afraid she will remove the child from the greatgrand parents home and not beable to care for him. She basically left the chld in there care and has since refused to return home stating "she will return home when she get a job and money to get a vehicle to come get her son and her stuff". And before you ask yes she had a round trip ticket to go out of stae and chose not to use the return portion of it.

traceylynn172

My daighter is not a mentally stable person she has been diagnosed as bipolar and has a very nasty temper. She also has been know to cut herself on her arms which leads the great grandparents and myself to believe she may harm the child if she has to take care of him on her own 24 hours a day which she has not done in the entire 10moths he has been alive

LdiJ

traceylynn172 said:
My daighter is not a mentally stable person she has been diagnosed as bipolar and has a very nasty temper. She also has been know to cut herself on her arms which leads the great grandparents and myself to believe she may harm the child if she has to take care of him on her own 24 hours a day which she has not done in the entire 10moths he has been alive
Well, you can certainly consult with an attorney to see what might be possible. I will tell you that parents have constitutional rights and its not easy to take custody away from parents. You have to be able to prove them legally unfit. I am not saying that your concerns aren't valid...just that they might not rise to a court's definitely of unfitness. The longer she is gone, the greater the chances are that your parents could get custody.

You also have to remember that there is a dad in the mix somewhere....and that dad can also assert rights.

traceylynn172

the supposed father of the child is not listed on the birth cert nor has he had any form of paternity testing done to confirm he isthe father. In fact we are not even sure he is the father do to the fact he is not the only male she was having sex with at the time. Thank you for your help and with any luck she will stay gone long enough for us to get a court to let us keep the baby.

pamoore

AR - Before the mother left - did she make any provisions for the childs healthcare and basic needs? A lot of things a child needs have to have a parent or guardian's signature. Also, get you a notebook or something and DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT!!!

B

bradybunchmom

mom has the right to her child absent a court order

without a court order, you cant stop her from taking her child. right now, she has legal custody, and has the right to have her child be with her. if you can prove in court that shes a danger to the child, then you can stop her, but without a court order, your hands are tied. im sorry

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">