• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My parents threatened to take me to court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abcarpenter

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?TN

My parents have evolved to acting as though they are my son's parents and that I am like a sarogate mother. He is the only male grandchild and because I had him when I wasn't married, he has my maiden name, my father's surname if you will, who will now be the only one able to carry it on...I have had many encounters where my parents don't respect me as his mother, in so much as to begin tellng me and not asking when they are or want to get him. I have steadily been reducing the amount of time my son has been spending with him due to their lack of respect of my parental rights, and have reduced it to only being able to visit him over at my home with my new husband, who is currently deployed and we are having our first child together now. My parents got very angry at the fact that I would not allow my son to go with them to Florida this summer for a week...I allowed him to go last year with the condition that they were to call me when they arrived at least, but did not hear from them at all until they were home again a week after they left. They say now I am denying my son happiness and I should've been happy for him last year and not to worry because he is well taken care of with them. I am very fearful now that my parents, if they were to ever get my son into their posession even for a few hours, that I may never see him or them again...they have enough assets to uproot themselves and move at a moment's notice. Everyone has been telling me that the way they have been acting about my son-the possesiveness and my mother's need and want for my son to call her 'mama' instead of 'grannie' or the like- that it would be a good precaution not to allow them to visit with him except in my own home...however, this conflict began when they came over to see him, assuming I would let them have him because he just came home from seeing his father during his visitation, began a quarrel with me for already stating to them that I was not going to allow the week long trip with him to Florida and also a week long visit with them the following week due to the fact that my mother is a shelby county school teacher and they were on spring break, that is when they demanded why I was denying them to see him...If I was denying them, then I wouldn't have let them in the door to visit with them. The entire time, I had already said that I was not going to allow them to take him, and my mother was already putting his shoes on and whispering in his ear to tell me 'goodbye' and letting him open the door himself to look outside. I reached out for my son, which he came to me right away, and told them they had to leave. I am going into my sixth month of a high risk pregnancy and do not desire or need this kind of aggravation, to which they said they were going to take me to court about the matter, that they didn't want to, but will if I won't let him go over to their home and spend the night anymore. What else can I really do? I'm tired of this.

BelizeBreeze

Tell these jerks that if they persist, you will file for an order of protection and swear out a warrant for harrassment. And IF they want to take you to court, they are more than welcome since you'll also be counterfiling for interference with a parental relationship and harrassement and for an order of protection requiring them to cease ALL contact and to stay a minimum of 500 feet from you and your son.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">