• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation of Character?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karen weed

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

I am a registered nurse, nurse manager, in a nursing home. A family member wrote a letter to the medical director stating that I was "extremely incompetent". The letter was shared with me and I was told not to discuss this issue, speak to the family member and resolve her concern. At the same time the facility handed out satisfaction surveys to family members, which are supposed to be allowed to be anonymous. The same person again states that I am "extremely incompetent". Now the information is no longer private, the entire facility has access to the information. It is too obvious that it is the same person. Words match exactly. A different floor needed a nurse manager and I put in a request for the move. I had to interview with the staff on the new unit. During the interview one of the nurses stated to me, "well I am going to be very honest, what is this about the satisfaction survey?" I felt so humiliated, and tried to explain it without disclosing the person invoved. I have since heard from other staff that others in the facility are asking about the information and if it is true. I withdrew my request to move to the new unit. I am having trouble concentrating on work, and my reputation is going down the tubes. Obviously this statement is not true because my employer would have not given me a 4 out of 5 on my evaluation, have kept me employed for 7 years etc. I would have been fired if I was incompetent. Is this a defamation of character?

BelizeBreeze

karen weed said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

I am a registered nurse, nurse manager, in a nursing home. A family member wrote a letter to the medical director stating that I was "extremely incompetent". The letter was shared with me and I was told not to discuss this issue, speak to the family member and resolve her concern. At the same time the facility handed out satisfaction surveys to family members, which are supposed to be allowed to be anonymous. The same person again states that I am "extremely incompetent". Now the information is no longer private, the entire facility has access to the information. It is too obvious that it is the same person. Words match exactly. A different floor needed a nurse manager and I put in a request for the move. I had to interview with the staff on the new unit. During the interview one of the nurses stated to me, "well I am going to be very honest, what is this about the satisfaction survey?" I felt so humiliated, and tried to explain it without disclosing the person invoved. I have since heard from other staff that others in the facility are asking about the information and if it is true. I withdrew my request to move to the new unit. I am having trouble concentrating on work, and my reputation is going down the tubes. Obviously this statement is not true because my employer would have not given me a 4 out of 5 on my evaluation, have kept me employed for 7 years etc. I would have been fired if I was incompetent. Is this a defamation of character?
No, it is opinion. Learn to live with the fact that not everyone is going to think you're the cat's Meow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">