• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disclosure of Information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alfred Packer

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I recently quit my job because of horrible working conditions. Because my former boss was a tyrant, and because I did not want him to speak badly of me, I told him I would come back and help him during the busy tourist season if my schedule permitted. I would have, in fact, done this.

I told my current employer this, and one day, they could not reach me at home and thought I may have gone there to work that day. One of the employees answered the phone and said "Alfred got fired." This is not the case, but even if it were, is it permissible to disclose personal information over the telephone to a total stranger? It could have cost me problems at my current job.

Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, it is.

The ONLY information that an employer is required by law to keep confidential, is any medical information they may have on you. And even that restriction has some exceptions to it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">