• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about child support and visitation rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PS1977

What is the name of your state? GA

I'm filing for child support finally!! but i have a question about visitation rights...Would he have to take me to court to get visitation rights? He has not yet made an effort to see our son...I contacted him about 2 months ago and he never once ask to see him. I have heard child support and visitation rights are 2 seperate issues?? I'm just afraid when he starts paying he will want to see him. I don't think he's responsible enough to have visitation rights... and another question can i get him to give up his parental rights while paying child support??? Thanks for your help!!

LdiJ

PS1977 said:
What is the name of your state? GA

I'm filing for child support finally!! but i have a question about visitation rights...Would he have to take me to court to get visitation rights? He has not yet made an effort to see our son...I contacted him about 2 months ago and he never once ask to see him. I have heard child support and visitation rights are 2 seperate issues?? I'm just afraid when he starts paying he will want to see him. I don't think he's responsible enough to have visitation rights... and another question can i get him to give up his parental rights while paying child support??? Thanks for your help!!
Yes, he would have to file for visitation rights in order to recieve visitation rights. Yes, child support and visitation are two separate legal issues. No, you can't get him to give up his parental rights and still recieve child support.

nextwife

PS1977 said:
I don't think he's responsible enough to have visitation rights..
So why did you choose to make a baby with him and have him be your child's co-parent? The only aspect of "being a parent" that you think he should have is the financial responsibility? And that he should not be granted any other rights by the court?

If he files for visitation, in order for him to "not have visitation rights" you will need to PROVE that he is a danger to the child. And even then, he would be granted supervised visitation until he is deemed fit. The court will decide if he gets visitation rights.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">