• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there alimony or spousal support in Ohio and Oklahoma

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

necimashall

I am currently in Ohio but will be moving to Oklahoma soon. My husband has again said he is leaving me and our 2 daughtes. We have been together 19 yrs. and he will try to leave me with nothing. He already has our income going to our business partner. I don't know how to show proof of the partnership and that my husband only made the other guy a partner because of his tax problems and now so that I or anyone else can prove how much money we are actually making. My main question is about alimony in both states and if they both have alimony and spousal support, is one better than the other

Silverplum

Alimony and spousal support/maintenance are the same thing - just different newer terms. So far as I've read, it's never a slam-dunk: you'll have to ask for it and hope for the best. A good attorney will help.

It looks like both states allow for spousal support:
http://oklegal.onenet.net/statutes.basic.html

http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/oh/lpExt.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=PORC

The thing is, one has to file for divorce in the county in which they have resided for X months...usually 6 months. I'm not positive about the rules in OK or OH; you'd have to check. It's not like you can shop states to find your best deal.

I have no idea about your business dealings -- no doubt someone else will! :)

LdiJ

necimashall said:
I am currently in Ohio but will be moving to Oklahoma soon. My husband has again said he is leaving me and our 2 daughtes. We have been together 19 yrs. and he will try to leave me with nothing. He already has our income going to our business partner. I don't know how to show proof of the partnership and that my husband only made the other guy a partner because of his tax problems and now so that I or anyone else can prove how much money we are actually making. My main question is about alimony in both states and if they both have alimony and spousal support, is one better than the other
You are going to need a really good attorney, and may even need to get an accountant involved to investigate and sort out the business issues.

ablessin

Your divorce will go in the state you live in at the time of filing.

I'd hire a good accoutant and a lawyer who can and will work together for the businses aspect.

good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">