• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment appeal hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kilau

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida

I was recently fired from my job. I was fired without a reason. I understand that is legal but now that I have filed for unemployment my former employer is appealing it and we have a hearing coming up.

Basically how I see it, my former employer was merging with another company and one of my co-workers pushed me out of my job to ensure she would still have one after the merger and to boost her ego and status. She did this by making up ridiculous lies about me which she told my bosses and they never discussed with me.

They are now claiming I was fired for misconduct, though their story changes everytime they talk to someone. They are openly discussing my case with people outside their office, this how I know what their plans are.

It is company policy to write people up for misconduct and it has happened in the past to other employees. I was never written up. I was told about a month before I was fired by my boss that he "couldn't be happier with my job performance". The one review I did have resulted in a pay raise. I received bonuses and paid vaction. None of this seems to match up for being fired for misconduct.

I can't think of any other reason why they are doing this other then to be vindictive and mean. The company I used to work for is no longer even operating, they formed a new corporation. The unemployment claim is on that old corporation so it does not affect thier completley new and seperate entity.

My former boss bullies people, he did it to me. I am afraid he will bully his way through this hearing and I don't know how to respond to whatever lies they come up with.

Also, this co-worker is the person that filed the appeal. She was not my supervisor and had no hiring or firing authority. Does she even have the right to be involved in this since she was not party to any disscussions I had with my employers?

Other sticking to my story and the truth, are there any tactics I can use to derail this steamrolling job they are pulling on me?

pattytx

One other piece of advice to "sticking to the facts". Don't be accusatory.

And the employer is the one filing the protest/appeal, not an individual. Theoretically, this individual is tasked with this responsibility by the company, although usually HR is the department that responds to such notices.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">