• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

all computer equipment siezed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dlmelvin

What is the name of your state? Colo.

Over a month ago police arrived at my door with a search warrant. The warrant listed almost anything electronic. I was told by officer that someone had told them I was fixing satellite receivers to receive all channels for free. I'm in the electronic repair business and do work on satellite systems. I also have been trying to find a way to write to smart cards so that advertising would show on the screen. The equipment they took could be used to fix cards so that they could get all channels for free but had never been used for that purpose. It also helped me in the repair business to know how the smart card worked and to be able to write to the receiver when receiver was bad. My problem is that Colo. laws are such that any equipment taken during a search warrant doesn't have to be returned to it's owner even if he is found innocent or not even charged. So I know I will never see my stuff again. I had many hundreds of dollars of schematics and other items used in my business on the computer and cdrom's. This has more or less put me out of business. I also have been working on a book about illegal search and seizure. I had every thing backed up on floppy disks and cdrom's but they took all that away also. I have never been charged with anything yet. I am 65 and there is no way anyone would hire me. There must be some recoarse when your means for making a living has been taken away. Any advice would be appreciated.

S

seniorjudge

My problem is that Colo. laws are such that any equipment taken during a search warrant doesn't have to be returned to it's owner even if he is found innocent or not even charged.

Who told you this?

Anyway, go to the prosecutor's office and ask very nicely for your stuff back.

See what they say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">