• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

short term disability for maternity insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cr31

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? washington. what rights do i have if an insurance agent sold my wife a policy with out telling her the truth? we bought a short term disability policy from aflac and before she signed it she asked "so if i get pregnant tomorrow i will be covered right?" he said "yes". we got pregnant a few weeks later and we come to find out that our policy is not valid. it starts ten months after policy date which is may 1st and we are due april 10th. she has talked to four people at aflac not including the original agent, who will not call back. they all said she can't get a refund because it comes from her paycheck so she has to go through her employer. question number two what if her employer does not give her a refund? question three is there an insurance company that will take over our policy and give us the short term disability or a company that will insure pregnant women?

Beth3

Contact your State's Insurance Commission and file a complaint. Sounds like your wife was the victim of deceptive sales tactics. AFLAC has some pretty aggressive sales tactics so yours may not be the first complaint they've received.

Your wife should also speak to her employer immediately about cancelling the AFLAC insurance plan and seeing if her premiums can be refunded. That will depend on (a) whether the AFLAC premiums are being paid on a pre-tax basis, and/or (b) whether AFLAC will refund any premiums that may already have been sent to them. Your wife should keep in mind that none of this is the employer's problem though. They are just the conduit through which she's paying the premiums for the insurance coverage she chose to buy.

question three is there an insurance company that will take over our policy and give us the short term disability or a company that will insure pregnant women? No insurance company is going to "take over" another insurance company's policy. I can't speak for insurance carriers but I can tell you that the odds of finding a private disability policy willing to extend coverage to someone who is already pregnant are slim. The current pregnancy is almost sure to be excluded from coverage as a pre-existing condition. What you need to do is pick up the phone and call your insurance agent and/or some independent insurance agents and see what may be available.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">