• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse that keeps filing for continuances...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dokchk

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have primary custody of my two kids, both in their teens. Domestic Relations filed on my behalf about a year ago for non reimbursement of health insurance premiums and medical expenses that my insurance doesn't cover, plus a few months of back child support. An agreement was made regarding the back child support, but we are unresolved as far as medical expenses are concerned.

My ex was able to get a court appointed attorney, and subsequently filed a suit against me for modification of the child support agreement. She has told my children that she can not afford to pay child support. (she makes slightly more now than she did when we originally came to terms on the last modification, when I became the primary custodian and she became the payor). Though the agreed upon amount of the child support is taken out of her check and disbursed to me, the health insurance/medical costs have never been taken care of. We were due to go to court next week (the third time). Her attorney is filing yet another continuance. Can she do this until both children are out of high school (another 2 - 3 years)? If so, will she be responsible for past debts? In the event we ever do get to court, if the judge rules in her favor and reduces or eliminates her requirement for child support and/or medical reimbursement, is she still responsible for the expenses incurred up to the actual change in modification? Our current orders specify she is to reimburse me for the health insurance premiums and pay half of out of pocket medical expenses as long as I follow proper notification procedure. The amount of money past due is not enough to warrant me hiring an attorney, but of course the longer this continues, the larger the amount due grows.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm frustrated, and just want to know if I have any shot of ever getting a judge to hear this case without me having to hire an attorney.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">