• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad didnt pay then can I make him pay now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Candyf

What is the name of your state?Utah
As a child I was raised by different family members and not my parents. I am 20 years old and have 2 siblings the youngest 18. My dad never paid any child support and never came to see us. My younger brother is in need of counceling and just recently a place to live. Can I get any of the money he owes for child support or anything for that matter?

crystaly

Only if there was a court order for support can you go after the man that was supposed to pay it. Otherwise you can't. But yes, if there is a court order for support you can try to collect it until his dieing days....even afterwards from his estate.

Silverplum

Actually, the child can't collect. The parent to whom the support was owed can collect, if there was a court order.

For that matter, both parents are responsible for supporting their kid/s. Why do you want to go after dad alone?

Last edited:

tigger22472

The information given to you was incorrect. Child support does not go to the child. If there was an order for child support in the past... yes it can be obtained now.. however, not by you but by the people that raised you. Childs support is just that, the support of the child and is payable to the people that raised you as they put food in your mouth and clothes on your back. If there was not a court order then, which would of had to have been filed by either the other parent or again, the people who raised you then it can not be obtained now.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
crystaly said:
Only if there was a court order for support can you go after the man that was supposed to pay it. Otherwise you can't. But yes, if there is a court order for support you can try to collect it until his dieing days....even afterwards from his estate.
No. MOM can go after arrears if there was a support order. The kid cannot.

crystaly

I've been corrected. The parent can go after the other parent till their dieing days, but a kid can't. I suppose they figure your still here you've been supported and the rest is to pay back mom or dad or whoever had custody. Thank you for correcting me on this one.

tigger22472

crystaly said:
I've been corrected. The parent can go after the other parent till their dieing days, but a kid can't. I suppose they figure your still here you've been supported and the rest is to pay back mom or dad or whoever had custody. Thank you for correcting me on this one.
Just so that the legal information is out there.. they can't always go until the 'dying days'. First off as stated there has to be a court order for support already in place... secondly it has to be from the person supporting the child... and thirdly some states (like Indiana) have SOL's. They all tend to be different. Here in Indiana it can be pursued until they are 28... the state will pursue it until the child is 18 and after that it is up to the 'guardian' to pursue it through their means until the child is 28.

Candyf said:
What is the name of your state?Utah
As a child I was raised by different family members and not my parents. I am 20 years old and have 2 siblings the youngest 18. My dad never paid any child support and never came to see us. My younger brother is in need of counceling and just recently a place to live. Can I get any of the money he owes for child support or anything for that matter?

Was there even a support order in effect?

crystaly

tigger22472 said:
Just so that the legal information is out there.. they can't always go until the 'dying days'. First off as stated there has to be a court order for support already in place... secondly it has to be from the person supporting the child... and thirdly some states (like Indiana) have SOL's. They all tend to be different. Here in Indiana it can be pursued until they are 28... the state will pursue it until the child is 18 and after that it is up to the 'guardian' to pursue it through their means until the child is 28.
Wow...So all someone has to do is hide till there kid is 28 and they are obsolved from all child support? Well in my state ..California..you don't get off that easy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">