• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A few questions about support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sky_Rail

What is the name of your state?Florida

Number one: I have been Divorced about 10 years. We settled on joint custody with my ex wife as primary residency. I have 2 children and I pay 150.00 a week. My son has lived with me for the past 5 years exclusivly. My daughter with her mom. Then we swap them around on weekends. One weekend I get them both and the next weekend she gets them both. Then we both keep one by themselves for a weekend to have some one on one time. I have faithfully paid my support since day one and owe no back support.

My first question is my son will be 18 next year at that time can I reduce the support payments to half? Not to be a tight wad but 150.00 a week is almost half my pay and things have been tight to the degree of having to borrow at one time to help me through a bad spot. My ex on the other hand gets the kids 150.00 plus her full time job and her husbands works full time. Which brings up my second question. When we devorced she only had a part time job. Now with two incomes I wondered if I should get a little break? Please I am not trying to shirk my responsibilities. It's just I am still single and have the one job and things get tight. I do computer repair on the side to help things through when I can.

I appreciate any help Sky

crystaly

Sky_Rail said:
What is the name of your state?Florida

Number one: I have been Divorced about 10 years. We settled on joint custody with my ex wife as primary residency. I have 2 children and I pay 150.00 a week. My son has lived with me for the past 5 years exclusivly. My daughter with her mom. Then we swap them around on weekends. One weekend I get them both and the next weekend she gets them both. Then we both keep one by themselves for a weekend to have some one on one time. I have faithfully paid my support since day one and owe no back support.

My first question is my son will be 18 next year at that time can I reduce the support payments to half? Not to be a tight wad but 150.00 a week is almost half my pay and things have been tight to the degree of having to borrow at one time to help me through a bad spot. My ex on the other hand gets the kids 150.00 plus her full time job and her husbands works full time. Which brings up my second question. When we devorced she only had a part time job. Now with two incomes I wondered if I should get a little break? Please I am not trying to shirk my responsibilities. It's just I am still single and have the one job and things get tight. I do computer repair on the side to help things through when I can.

I appreciate any help Sky
First of all when your son turns 18 you need to file for a modification of child support..if not sooner. No it doesn't cut the payments in half when he turns 18. if your paying $600 now then probably $200 will be dropped off your support payments. But you should file for a modification sooner because if she is working full time her income is counted. Her husbands income wont be counted though, so don't count on that major of a reduction. So if your making more money now than you were when you got divorced you might want to pay for someone to do a calculation of support.

Let me get this straight your paying for both children support when your son has lived with you the whole time?? Go file for a modification.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">