• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When reading a survey...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pd7277

What is the name of your state?New Jersey
How do you read 5.41' on a residential Plan of Survey? I get the 5 feet, but is .41 a fraction of 12 inches or 4.92 inches? or is 12 inches divided into 10 parts making .41 = 4.1 inches? Yes, I'm that close to a side setback for an A/C condensing unit. Way too much work to have to move it for a 1/2 inch miscalculation.

Thanks for your anticipated reply.

Peggy

jimmler

pd7277 said:
What is the name of your state?New Jersey
How do you read 5.41' on a residential Plan of Survey? I get the 5 feet, but is .41 a fraction of 12 inches or 4.92 inches? or is 12 inches divided into 10 parts making .41 = 4.1 inches? Yes, I'm that close to a side setback for an A/C condensing unit. Way too much work to have to move it for a 1/2 inch miscalculation.

Thanks for your anticipated reply.

Peggy
You need to call the surveyor listed on your Plan of Survey, tell them your intentions and ask them this question before you build anything. You could be looking at a site plan that was done before the building was built, an actual boundary survey or something else. If your tolerance is 1/2 inch, I would be darn sure to find out before you do all the work.

That having been said, in most states, .41 on a surveyors drawing is a fraction of a foot (or a fraction of 12 inches - 4.92 inches) (but not knowing the source of the measurement or drawing would make me VERY LEARY of using it for any construction work).

Please call the surveyor, they can tell you if the plan you have can be used for the purpose you are proposing, or they can give you a price to come out and put some stakes on the property line to make sure you keep the improvements on your property.

I am not a lawyer, I have been in surveying for 15 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">