• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cell Phones

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

user55667

What is the name of your state? NY

With a subpoena, if phone records are pulled for a land-line phone, looking for incoming calls at a specific date and time, can a number be found or show up if the calls were made from a cell phone long distance?

If so, how long would this take?

CdwJava

user55667 said:
What is the name of your state? NY

With a subpoena, if phone records are pulled for a land-line phone, looking for incoming calls at a specific date and time, can a number be found or show up if the calls were made from a cell phone long distance?

If so, how long would this take?
Yes, the numbers can be found. The length of time it would take depends on the phone company. I have had turnarounds in less than 24 hours. It could take longer if the company drags its feet for some reason.

- Carl

user55667

Q for Carl

I just read that phone records are based on billing record purposes, and they will not show calls that were not billed by that particular phone carrier. Wouldn't you have to find out who the number was billed to first?
Or are you saying that the incoming long distance number would just easily show up?
Thanks.

CdwJava

user55667 said:
I just read that phone records are based on billing record purposes, and they will not show calls that were not billed by that particular phone carrier. Wouldn't you have to find out who the number was billed to first?
Or are you saying that the incoming long distance number would just easily show up?
Thanks.
The information is there ... it can be discovered. You might have to go to more than one carrier, but every cell number belongs to a particular provider. I can run the number and determine the provider. The receiving phone company will have a record of the incoming number and those incoming numbers CAN be traced.

Think of it this way ... if I can backtrack your IP number to you after an instantaneous IM message, I can sure as heck track your cell number. It may take a little time, but it can be done.

- Carl

S

seniorjudge

CdwJava said:
The information is there ... it can be discovered. You might have to go to more than one carrier, but every cell number belongs to a particular provider. I can run the number and determine the provider. The receiving phone company will have a record of the incoming number and those incoming numbers CAN be traced.

Think of it this way ... if I can backtrack your IP number to you after an instantaneous IM message, I can sure as heck track your cell number. It may take a little time, but it can be done.

- Carl
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=231065
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=231316

Carl, these questions have been discussed in exhaustive detail.

Y

ylen13

CdwJava said:
If the number exists (and they all do) then they can be discovered.

- Carl
and if its prepay phone that you bought from some moma/popa shop and use calling card then how will it get discovered?

CdwJava

ylen13 said:
and if its prepay phone that you bought from some moma/popa shop and use calling card then how will it get discovered?
The same way others will. The phone HAS a carrier. Finding the owner of the phone would be the problem ... but, there ARE ways. :D And I'm not going to say how, as these are common phones used among dopers, gangsters and terrorists ... but there ARE ways.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">