• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can grandparents be denied visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kansas4me

What is the name of your state?Missouri

My mother is a wreck right now. My brother has filed for a divorce (I have given more details in other threads so I will give the short version here) She failed to show up for any of the dates, brother has full custody. She thought the divorce was stopped cause she quite her work, now knows it was still proceeding and what was done, and vows to fight it. May be a day late and a dollar short, but since we have never been through any of this we have no clue.
She is telling my brother that she will have it set up so that even when he has the kids (she is assuming she will get full custody when she asks for ti) he is not allowed to bring them near us for any reason. (she feels we are to blame for their marriage failing, not her numerous affairs.)

I have told my mom she can not do that, since there is no valid reason behind her hate for us. We are not abusive, no criminal record of any kind (my parents don't even have traffic tickets) stable homes, (our parents have been married for over 35 years, first and only marriage us three kids are whole brother/sisters, no half or steps) parents have worked steady and dad has been at his job for 35 years with the city they live in.

Can anyone let me know if I am right so I can calm my mom down? We are already dealing with the loss of one grandchild. My brothers soon to be ex had a son that was 2 weeks old when my brother started dating her and 6 months when they got married, so he is ours no matter what blood says. But since my brother never adopted him, we have no rights. Now she is worried she will lose the other three.

Any advice, one way or the other would help!

LdiJ

Kansas4me said:
What is the name of your state?Missouri

My mother is a wreck right now. My brother has filed for a divorce (I have given more details in other threads so I will give the short version here) She failed to show up for any of the dates, brother has full custody. She thought the divorce was stopped cause she quite her work, now knows it was still proceeding and what was done, and vows to fight it. May be a day late and a dollar short, but since we have never been through any of this we have no clue.
She is telling my brother that she will have it set up so that even when he has the kids (she is assuming she will get full custody when she asks for ti) he is not allowed to bring them near us for any reason. (she feels we are to blame for their marriage failing, not her numerous affairs.)

I have told my mom she can not do that, since there is no valid reason behind her hate for us. We are not abusive, no criminal record of any kind (my parents don't even have traffic tickets) stable homes, (our parents have been married for over 35 years, first and only marriage us three kids are whole brother/sisters, no half or steps) parents have worked steady and dad has been at his job for 35 years with the city they live in.

Can anyone let me know if I am right so I can calm my mom down? We are already dealing with the loss of one grandchild. My brothers soon to be ex had a son that was 2 weeks old when my brother started dating her and 6 months when they got married, so he is ours no matter what blood says. But since my brother never adopted him, we have no rights. Now she is worried she will lose the other three.

Any advice, one way or the other would help!
The mom cannot prohibit the dad (or get a judge to prohibit the dad) from having the kids around anyone that the dad wants the kids to be around....unless the mom can prove, with evidence, that a specific person is a danger to the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">