• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support and income "potential"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbohn

What is the name of your state? New York
My husband and I have had a legal separation through a mediator since 2001. My husband pays monthly child support based on his income in 2000. We have two children 13 and 9. I have a master's degree in education. I choose not to utilize that degree at this time. I have my own business from home. I feel it is nessessary to be home as much as possible for the children. My husband also deducts both children from his taxes. Am I entitled to have my husband's salary reassessed? If so, how often? I simply wanted one child as a deduction but he refusses. He say's because of my income potential he will not give me more money (child support) or the deduction.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How long have you had the degree, and how long have you chosen to stay home? And was that choice a mutual decision on the part of you & your husband?

cbohn

child support/income potential

I have had my MS since 1992. I worked full time until the second child was born in 1995. It was a mutual decision that I stay home with the two children. I began my home-based business in 1996. The only reason I am not divorced is that my separation agreement states that I earn much more than I actually do (based on my eaning potential). I just can't bring myself so sign this (this portion is actually an amendment worded in such a way that the county will not reject it). My husband now feels that I should work full time out of the home and put my children in daycare.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">