• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrearages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

questionable10

What is the name of your state? TX

My husband went to court 1-1/2 ago and worked out a payment arrangement on the arreages (the kids are over 18 now so there is no current support due). We still have about 18 months of payments to make before he is paid off. We just found out from one of his kids that his ex-wife has cancer and is not expected to live longer then 3 months or so. If she does happen to die prior to the arreages being paid in full, would he still owe and if so, to who or would it be considered canceled?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Please tell me that that is not the first thing that popped into your minds when you heard that his kids' mother is dying.

mrsbrown

Ewww....but seriously what does happen if child support or arreages are owed and the cp passes away? I have no personal experience with this situation or anything but am now curious.

MandyD

Mrs Brown, I don't imagine CP is any different than any other debt that is owed. Even when the person owed dies, the debt is still owed.

questionable10

stealth2 said:
Please tell me that that is not the first thing that popped into your minds when you heard that his kids' mother is dying.
We have known for about 3 weeks and have been dealing the kids. The youngest who is 19 is the one having the hardest time with this. She was the one that posed the question to us. She wants to be the one (not any of her siblings) to receive the money that is still owed her Mom. We told her we didn't know how it would work but that if it was still indeed owed, we believe it would be split between the 3 kids and not go to just her. I know I didn't make it clear in my question as to why I was asking but based upon the responses I have already gotten, I guess I should have made it clearer.

Last edited:

Silverplum

questionable10 said:
We have known for about 3 weeks and have been dealing the kids. The youngest who is 19 is the one having the hardest time with this. She was the one that posed the question to us. She wants to be the one (not any of her siblings) to receive the money that is still owed her Mom. We told her we didn't know how it would work but that if it was still indeed owed, we believe it would be split between the 3 kids and not go to just her. (bolding mine/snip)
What a...um...cuddly...sort of girl she must be! :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">