• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

madmom41

What is the name of your state? TX

My ex-husband has not paid me for medical bills in the past 2 years. He says that it is his option if he wants to pay for them. What can I tell him, or is there a web site that I can look at to let him know if I do file a contempt on him, that it is going to cost him alot of money?

ARTSMOM

Definately check the decree. If it says he pays a portion, then he is in contempt of court. If this is a case with ongoing medical bills then you should consider asking the court for a modification where you both pay medical bills in proportion to your incomes. You might also want to look into how child support is calculated. I know in Colorado you can include money spent for extraordinary medical expenses above $250 a year as part of your overall expenses that you contribute to the support of the child.

madmom41

Thank you for the advice. the decree says that he is to pay half of all medical bills that are sent to him. I have sent them to him in the 10 day time frame. all of them. Is there such a thing as optional prescriptions? I have failed to ever see or read this in my decree. He says that he is not going to pay for the medical because the precriptions and the receipts from the dr. office are all falisified, and that they are optional to him. My son has asthma, he has ADHD, and i have to take him to the doctor at least once a month. I know that i can file a contempt on him, but i was wondering if there is any way that i could scare him into paying for the past due medical?

Rushia

madmom41 said:
Thank you for the advice. the decree says that he is to pay half of all medical bills that are sent to him. I have sent them to him in the 10 day time frame. all of them. Is there such a thing as optional prescriptions? I have failed to ever see or read this in my decree. He says that he is not going to pay for the medical because the precriptions and the receipts from the dr. office are all falisified, and that they are optional to him. My son has asthma, he has ADHD, and i have to take him to the doctor at least once a month. I know that i can file a contempt on him, but i was wondering if there is any way that i could scare him into paying for the past due medical?
How on earth can you falsify dr receipts? I highly doubt that you could scare him any more than filing for contempt. Just make sure that you have your decree and that you have a copy of all the receipts to show.

ARTSMOM

I agree...

I doubt your going to do anything to scare him other than file a contempt charge. One thought... you could draft a letter stating all that is due, including copies of the receipts again. Ask for him to remit payment within 30 days. State that should you not receive payment, you will file contempt. You might also "suggest" in the letter that your open to payment plans. Just be prepared to file if he does not come through. This will also show the courts that your trying to work together with him on this, and then he can explain why he is not following the court order. I do not think there is any type of optional prescriptions... if the Dr. thinks your child needs them, then the courts should as well.

It just amazes me how parents can let their children suffer out of spite for the other parent. It is hard to believe they love their kids as much as they say... Good luck with this!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Our order states that unless it is emergency care, we have to agree to medical care. If he doesn't - he's not responsible for his portion. Funny - I never get the option not to agree when they're with him, and he just deducts my portion from the CS. Whatever.

madmom41

Thank all of you for your advice! I will try to get work it out with him. I guess if I do not get any money , then i will file the contempt. I will let yall know what the outcome is. THANK YOU for the advice....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">