• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I file a return for car donation credit/deduction if I have no income?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

intriq

What is the name of your state? California.

I am a full time student and probably will not be working at all this year. However, I am considering donating my car. Can I get any deduction for the car donation if there is no income to begin with? If that is possible, what tax bracket am I? If the vehicle is valued at $2,000. What would I get in my "refund"?

In general, is there any credit I can claim as a nonworking student for tax break? If I happen to work some part of the year, what is the minimum amount one needs to earn to mandate filing?

It seems very odd to me not to file for income tax, as I have been doing so for many years. Do I need to declare to IRS that I have no income this year and therefore will not file, or do I just simply not file(and take no action)?

Thanks.

Snipes5

If you have no income, you have no taxes, therefore you don't NEED a tax break, because there are no taxes for you to get a break from.

In your position, they won't give you a refund just because you donate a car.

Just don't bother filing, and don't give it a second thought.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">