• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal to teach with bipolar disorder?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

amelia681

What is the name of your state? IL

I am currently pursuing a degree in secondary education, but I am bipolar and have never gotten a straight answer on whether that is basis for discrimination or if it is legal to teach children with that type of condition. I have only been hospitalized once, and that was as a minor (I am now 22). I experience a fair amount of mania and frequent mixed moods, but my control is excellent and I don't forsee problems in the school. Can I legally teach or does this fall something along the lines of don't ask don't tell catagory? And if I require hospitalization at some point in the future, is that grounds for firing? Thanks.

rmet4nzkx

It is not illegal to become a teacher with bipolar disorder, however considering the history of hospitalization would raise questions of fitness and risk management issues. While ADA may protect some aspects of employment, there are limitation to it as well and each case is taken on it's merits. I would suggest you work with your advisor on this issue. Also contact NAMI in your area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">