• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EX Filed Fake Tax Return In MY Name!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AMomNeedsHelp

What is the name of your state? Illinois

:mad: My Ex-fiance filed a fake tax return in my name. I received a letter from the IRS stating that I owe $41,000 in taxes!!!!!! At first, I thought it was a mistake, but eventually I found out that he did it and he claimed he did it because he lost his job and he was desperate...BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!!

I do not know if any money was exchanged or not... he says no, but I don't trust him after he pulled this..

I want to know what could happen to ME when I report this? What will happen to him? Can he just pay it off and it will be cleared?? I am scared to death.. I want child support from him and he (usually) has a great 6 figure job. I am afraid if I report him I won't get any help for my child... I know that may sound selfish, but I am scared!! Someone please shed some light on this ASAP!!

Thanks

LdiJ

AMomNeedsHelp said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

:mad: My Ex-fiance filed a fake tax return in my name. I received a letter from the IRS stating that I owe $41,000 in taxes!!!!!! At first, I thought it was a mistake, but eventually I found out that he did it and he claimed he did it because he lost his job and he was desperate...BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!!

I do not know if any money was exchanged or not... he says no, but I don't trust him after he pulled this..

I want to know what could happen to ME when I report this? What will happen to him? Can he just pay it off and it will be cleared?? I am scared to death.. I want child support from him and he (usually) has a great 6 figure job. I am afraid if I report him I won't get any help for my child... I know that may sound selfish, but I am scared!! Someone please shed some light on this ASAP!!

Thanks
This is a MAJOR issue. It absolutely MUST be reported. You cannot afford to have that kind of an issue outstanding with the IRS. Please don't be foolish.

Some Random Guy

If the IRS says you owe $41,000 it is either because your ex is stupid and filed a false tax return claiming you made $200,000 per year and had no withholding, but didn't include a check with the return ...
OR
filed a return showing 41,000 in withholding and little to no income or lots of deductions, got a refund check, stealing $41,000 from the IRS, who figured out the scam and now wants it back.

So do you think he's stupid and is committing felonies because he's a moron, or do you think he did it for the money?

Since we all know that the IRS is going to get its money back, do you want to pay them? Or should he? Hint: if you don't want to pay, contact the IRS and ask them if you should deal with local police, IRS criminal investigators or the FBI regarding this case of forgery, filing false documents and grand theft.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">