• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bonus Repayment Options

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? IA

I was in the Active Army, and was discharged for failing two consecutive PT test. When discharged I lost my GI bill that i had payed about 1000 into. and have to repay 3000 of my 7000 bonus. about six months ago i joined the National Guard partically to repay my bonus, and partially for college money. i had planed to use any bonus that i would get to repay the army. but i couldnt get a bonus. so they are now taking about 2/3 of my guard pay. which isnt a problem right now. but i am going to be deploying to iraq for a tour that will last a year to a year and a half, in country, plus all of the train up time. and i am worried that when i get activated i wont get paid enough to pay my bills, untill the bonus is paid off. I am wondering if there is a way that i could get the bonus wavied or something, because I will be going to Iraq and my original contract that i had with active duty will basically be fulfilled. is there any way to get this taken care of in the army, or do i need to contact my congressman and bring this to his attention.

chrisdizz22 said:
What is the name of your state? IA

I was in the Active Army, and was discharged for failing two consecutive PT test. When discharged I lost my GI bill that i had payed about 1000 into. and have to repay 3000 of my 7000 bonus. about six months ago i joined the National Guard partically to repay my bonus, and partially for college money. i had planed to use any bonus that i would get to repay the army. but i couldnt get a bonus. so they are now taking about 2/3 of my guard pay. which isnt a problem right now. but i am going to be deploying to iraq for a tour that will last a year to a year and a half, in country, plus all of the train up time. and i am worried that when i get activated i wont get paid enough to pay my bills, untill the bonus is paid off. I am wondering if there is a way that i could get the bonus wavied or something, because I will be going to Iraq and my original contract that i had with active duty will basically be fulfilled. is there any way to get this taken care of in the army, or do i need to contact my congressman and bring this to his attention.
NOPE there is nothing you can do

Jillian483 said:
NOPE there is nothing you can do
Im sure a congressman can do something. but i have a feeling that you really dont know that much. so anyone else know anything about my question

chrisdizz22 said:
Im sure a congressman can do something. but i have a feeling that you really dont know that much. so anyone else know anything about my question
Actually I was a NCO and have had one of my troops have problems for basically the same reason as you. You failed a PT test. Your enlistment will not be fulfilled untill you do 2x what you had left of your enlistment when you got out. For example.. if you had 3 years left, you need to do 6 in reserve or guard to fulfill your enlistment. No matter the fact, you were discharged for failure to do what you agreed to do . The military has no need for you if you cannot run 3 miles in the time that you are supposed to and do enough sit ups and push ups to meet the minimum requirements. Should the rest of your batallion have to slow down if they are running away from the military because you cannot keep up with them? Should they? No! Do they? YES!!! A congressman might be able to help you but you are kinda unclear of what you are looking for. Are you asking if they will just waive the debt? Maybe, you might have a slim chance. The problem that you are going to come into here is trying to find a congressman to help you. This is a time of war and it is going to be hard for you to find a congressman that will back a person that was discharged for failing a PT test. But hey by all means try it... Nothing is stopping you. I am sure that I have way more experience in these situations than you because you only know how it is affecting you. I have seen it happen to other people, one of which was my own troop. On a side not, if you got out before the reformed the fitness requirements then you might have a better chance. they used to kick people out if they were over certain measurements even if they could pass all of the physical tests. If this is the case with you then I reccomend that you ask around. Call your local bases legal office and talk to them. But hey I know nothing. Right?

no actually i had a problem with my knee at the time, and an even bigger problem with the PA who wouldnt give me a profile to let my knee get any better. and actually i maxed PU and SU but failed the run by six seconds, on the last PT test.

and i will be on active duty while i deploy to iraq. and i will be deployed for around two years total. they dont just let you fight for one weekend a month while your deployed. so it is actually considered active duty. and i had two years left on my contract when i was seperated. that being the reason that im thinking that this might fulfill my contract.

and as far as you being an NCO who really cares being an NCO doesnt mean that you know anything. and juding from the thread you started, you dont know as much as you think you do. YOU CANNOT SUE THE MILITARY for one. and having a bunch of people on your side does not mean that you are right. if your chain of command says your wrong, then your wrong. and getting booted because three NCO' not liking you. threre must have been a reason why they did not like you.

and i do believe that you were in the airforce. I do think that a congressman would go to bat for a combat soldier then some desk jockey sitting back collecting a check.

yes i have seen other people go thru the same thing. actually four other people before me. and then it personally happend to me. so unless you were a JAG officer, then i doubt that you know anymore then me on this issue.

and if one of your TROOPS had the same thing happen to them, how would you know. you must not have read my post very well. because i am now in the national guard. getting ready for a rotation thru Iraq. as a scout, which is a combat job. something that you being a female would know nothing about. so did one of your troops get discharged and then joined the national guard, then get selected to deploy to iraq. Probably not since most AF personaal get no closer to combat then kuwait.

I still believe that you dont know anything. so please dont post again.

ok with all of that being said.

does anyone know a possible solution the my problem.

Last edited:

badapple40

Go the Congress route. I mean, you could take this to the Army board of corrections of records ("ABCR"), but the backlog up there is like a year and a half, and anything they'd do for you would come too little, too late. Congress, on the other hand, may be able to pull strings. On second thought.... submit the issue to ABCR AND go to Congress to explain the situation. Have you also thought about bringing this to your commander to forward up the chain for appropriate relief?

yeah i should probably take it up with the chain of command first- but the problem is that because of my delpoyment-i have to drill with a different troop. and i havent thought about this untill just the other day.

and really i would rather not pay it back if i didnt have to,because i will basically be doing the the time i had left, plus i will be doing it in a combat zone... but if i do have to i just dont want them to take so much at one time. two thirds of my pay while on active duty would take about two months to pay off. but i have child support that i have to pay. and a car payment. and i wouldnt have enough to take care of both of thoses let alone my self.

thanks for the reply bad apple--- one more question, would i need to go to congress as a whole or just to my local congressman. its only 2600 that i owe so i dont think that congress would want to take up a matter this minor. do you think that i might be able to contact IG about this matter. i will call down to my unit on monday and inform them. and see what they say. so i dont get strung up for skipping the chain of command.

Last edited:
they dont just let you fight for one weekend a month while your deployed. No **** huh? I had no idea. You see I thought that you were just there for 1 weekend a year. Wow I would have never thought that the purpose of the national GUARD was to provide for our country in times of war.
and i had two years left on my contract when i was seperated. that being the reason that im thinking that this might fulfill my contract. Then LIKE I SAID, if you have finished this time then it should be fulfilled. You know, the military gives profiles and waivers out like they were candy so I think that if there was really something wrong with your knee you would have gotten one. You couldn't just push yourself a little bit harder to take down that 6 seconds?

and juding from the thread you started, you dont know as much as you think you do. First... You need to go back to awols post. Then reread my SISTERS post. You would see that that person had a line for staff. She had yet to sew on and had about a year till she did so. 2 different people here.

so unless you were a JAG officer, then i doubt that you know anymore then me on this issue. Unless it was me that got my troop kicked out.

something that you being a female would know nothing about. Go read awol in Iraq. I have wat more exp in combat than you

Probably not since most AF personaal get no closer to combat then kuwait. See above comment

I still believe that you dont know anything. Tough **** dirtbag

jillian your full of sh*t. give me the name of the O-6 who get demoted. im going to look this up.

and if you were shot two times then you would have recieved a purple heart. which is a registered medal. and that can also be looked up. so prove to me that you were shot two times.

Why dont you go and find somewhere else to post, no one wants to hear from an AIRFORCE poge, that thinks they were some hardcore combat soldier. and if you were in combat it wasnt on a regular basis. females cannot hold direct combat jobs. so what was your MOS. I bet that you never actually went to iraq. most of what you say seems to be BS in my eyes,

chrisdizz22 said:
jillian your full of sh*t. give me the name of the O-6 who get demoted. im going to look this up.

and if you were shot two times then you would have recieved a purple heart. which is a registered medal. and that can also be looked up. so prove to me that you were shot two times.

Why dont you go and find somewhere else to post, no one wants to hear from an AIRFORCE poge, that thinks they were some hardcore combat soldier. and if you were in combat it wasnt on a regular basis. females cannot hold direct combat jobs. so what was your MOS. I bet that you never actually went to iraq. most of what you say seems to be BS in my eyes,

You **** head! It is not an automatic purple heart. Do your research! Trust me I DID when I got shot. 2nd even if I did know his name you wouldn't be able to find his info because it is protected under the privacy act. 3rd NO a female cannot participate in direct combat. I however was in Iraq as a point of combat for munitions (NBC) shipments. In case you don't know and still want further info it is a 2W2. If you want to know where I was and further info on what I did, tough ****, I can't tell you because you are a **** bag that could probably not security clearance if your life depended on it. Get on the internet and look up the getting shot thing. You will find tons of crap about people that have been wounded and not given the heart. 4th, just so you know I was discharged from the military so that I could indergo chemo 3 months after I got back.

Jillian483 said:
You **** head! It is not an automatic purple heart. Do your research! Trust me I DID when I got shot. 2nd even if I did know his name you wouldn't be able to find his info because it is protected under the privacy act. 3rd NO a female cannot participate in direct combat. I however was in Iraq as a point of combat for munitions (NBC) shipments. In case you don't know and still want further info it is a 2W2. If you want to know where I was and further info on what I did, tough ****, I can't tell you because you are a **** bag that could probably not security clearance if your life depended on it. Get on the internet and look up the getting shot thing. You will find tons of crap about people that have been wounded and not given the heart. 4th, just so you know I was discharged from the military so that I could indergo chemo 3 months after I got back.

AR 600-8-22 / 25 February 1995- Read this and explain to me why you didnt get a purple heart. Im confused. according to the regulation if you get wounded by enemy action, then you get the purple heart. but i guess the regulation could be wrong, just as all of the other people were wrong about the O-6 rank reduction. what did you do accidentally shoot yourself. twice at that. you even get the purple heart for friendly fire. so the only way that you could have gotten shot and not gotten it would be it you shot yourself, and only if threr was gross neglect on your part. you already ruined your crediability, i want proof. other wise your just going to get the same response from me.

you so full of ****... Privacy act my ass. you can go and find out a persons rank, and also their rank at ETS.

And who gives a **** about a security clearence. it doesnt make you any better of a air person then i am a soldier. I do have a secret clearence--but who cares anyway- right now i am not assigned to anything that requireds the clearence so it doesnt matter. and the only reason that i had the clearence was because i was a driver of a Canidian LAVIII. now what is your clearence- let me guess TOP SECRET unrestricted. I cant believe that i have an airforce logistics person trying to tell me about combat. your eyes must be brown because you are so full of ****.....talk all of this trash but cant prove anything.. do your self a favor--- shut up and go away.

Last edited:
B]AR 600-8-22 / 25 February 1995[/B]- Not that I really find the need to explain myself to you but I will do so for the hell if it.... They don't just walk up to you after you have been shot and hand you your ribbon. Once again if you read my posts I have just recently gotten out. I've been a little more concerned lately about not dying than I have about getting some medal that I don't think I deserve. You have to put in for it most of the time. I got shot while sleeping. I don't really feel like being a pussy and crying about the 1 inch scar that I have on my sholder and the other one on my hip.
- A serviceperson cannot author his/her own After Action report that can be used solely as a basis for awarding a PH or other medal. You have to wait for the military to get around to it.
- The Army, Air Forces, Navy and Coast Guard does not maintain a historic list of its PH recipients.
- Anyone can access a veteran' military record file to verify the award of a PH Not true. However, in some very restricted cases the news media, law enforcement agencies and other official entities may petition the National Records and Personnel Center of Military Records under the Freedom Of Information Act for redacted verification of PH award.
you so full of ****... Privacy act my ass. you can go and find out a persons rank, and also their rank at ETS. Yeah not if they are still in jail fulfilling thier enlistment. Beside I already said I didn't know. This was like 3 years ago and I read about it in the base paper. How am I saposed to remember his name. Besides it is likely that the paper didn't include everything. Furhermore there is a fine definition of wounded here. If you are shot and spend an hour in the hospital having the casing rempoed and then getting stitches it doesn't say much. I have been informed that I would be eligible even though my wound was not severe but he has to wait for my commander to file the paperwork. Do some research before you just think that the internet lists all of the recipients. I know of a few that were awarded a few months ago and I just looked and could not find their names. If it really makes you happy I will inform you if and when I do get my award. Maybe you can come watch.

If you even bothered to take 2 seconds of your time to look up my career field you would know that I built nuclear weapons. Common sense would ( SHOULD, but I am not going to hold my breath) tell you that this requires security clearance. So tell me... can I tell you what I was foing in Iraq if this was my career field? Kinda gets you thinking huh? Air force people don't go in combat? I think you are getting combat and a war zona mixed up. Just because I wasn't in combat doesn't mean that I wasn't in a war zone. What about pararescue? Yeah that's right the airforce people that have to go save the army people when they get hurt. They are trained for combat.

Just to get this clarified. In your first post last year you said you had been in the guard for 6 months then later you said 8 months and now you are saying 6 months again. You are contradiciting yourself. Furthermore you said you has put a thousand into the MGIB. You couldn't have been in for as long as you said because you aould have started putting in a hundred a month when you started basic thes means that you were only in for 10 months. Did you start paying after you were in for a while?
Then I don't see how you got in the guard in the first place because on your questioneer they asked you; Have you been the subject of adverse administrative action, regardless of outcome, including (but not limited to) being flagged for failing to satisfy military height/ weight requirements, or for failing a military physical fitness test? I would think that this would disqualify you. But then again I never failed any of y tests and I got an honorable so I have never had to do this.
One must elect whether or not to participate in the MGIB during basic training or time of enlistment onto active duty. If one declines the MGIB, they can't change their mind later. If one elects to participate and then changes their mind later, or if they are discharged before they become eligible to use the benefits, they don't get any of the money back that was taken out of their pay. This is because (the way the law is worded), it's a "reduction in pay," not a "contribution."

It may surprise you to learn that not everyone who enters active duty is eligible to participate in the ADMGIB. You are not eligible to participate if you declined the ADMGIB in writing upon entry to active duty.

If You Separate Early

If you don’t complete the required period of service, you may still be eligible for MGIB if you were discharged early for one of the following reasons:

Medical Disability

Hardship

Pre-existing Medical Condition

A condition that interfered with performance of duty

A reduction in force (RIF)—(Only certain RIFs qualify; check with your Education Service Officer.)

Convenience of the Government.
Note: If the "Reason for Discharge" on your DD Form 214 (Record of Separation) is for this reason, you must have served at least 30 months if your enlistment contract was for three or more years, or at least 20 months if your enlistment contract was for less than three years.
Note: If you're discharged early, your MGIB benefit rates will be reduced accordingly. If you’re separated for one of these reasons, you'll receive one month of entitlement for each month of active duty (up to 36 months) after June 30, 1985. For example, if you're discharged after 19 months for hardship, and you meet the other eligibility requirements, you'll receive 19 months of MGIB benefits.

Oh look the answer to a lot of your questions and all I had to do was look it up. You can't pass a PT test, have a bad attitude, and no military bearing. Come back when you have some respect for people. You should also know this....
Visible tattoos or brands on the face, neck or head are prohibited. Tattoos or brands on other areas of the body that are prejudicial to good order and discipline are prohibited. Any type of tattoo or brand that is visible while wearing a Class A uniform and detracts from a soldierly appearance is prohibited.

Examples of the types of tattoos or brands that may be in violation of this policy are those that:

1) show an alliance with "extremist" organizations,

2) are indecent (i.e. those that are grossly offensive to modesty, decency, or propriety; shock the moral sense because of their vulgar, filthy, or disgusting nature; tend to incite lustful thought; or tend reasonably to corrupt morals or incite libidinous thoughts,

3) are unreasonably large or excessive in number (i.e. a series of tattoos that cover the majority of one or more limbs

Class A uniform:

A tattoo is prohibited if, while wearing the Class A uniform, it

1) is visible, AND

2) detracts from a soldierly appearance.

Both conditions are required for the particular tattoo to be prohibited.

Under most circumstances, small, inconspicuous, or inoffensive tattoos or brands on areas of the body other than the face, neck or head are not prohibited.

Removal of Tattoos:

MEDCOM may remove tattoos that are not in compliance under the appropriate circumstances. Tattoos will be removed when the soldier asks for assistance AND the soldier is command-referred. The Army may elect not to provide this service for any soldier who voluntarily has a tattoo or brand applied which is in violation of the policy, if applied after 05 January 1999. Be aware that tattoo removal is a multi-treatment procedure. Commanders should take this into consideration when implementing the tattoo policy.

Commanders’ Guidance:

Soldiers should not be ordered to remove tattoos or brands. Rather, soldiers who refuse to have tattoos or brands removed should be counseled. The following points shall be addressed:

1) Ensure that the soldier understands the policy.

2) Ensure the soldier has the opportunity to seek medical advice about the removal of tattoos.

3) Counsel the soldier in writing that he or she does not comply with Army policy and that the decision not to remove the tattoo or brand could result in adverse administrative action, to include discharge from the Army.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">