• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does this lawyer have the right???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimmysgirl2

What is the name of your state? Arizona.
My boyfriend's ex's lawyer has sent a 2nd letter to him demanding that I (his Live-in girlfriend) supply his office with personal financial information before his court date to ammend his child support. I have told him that I don't believe that he has the right and that I don't think I should be any way involved in his support of his child (although I do love the boy). I don't want to hurt his position in court which is next week, but can't afford a lawyer to find out whether this is an appropriate request. PLEASE HELP!

Silverplum

The best advice I can give you is to use the yellow pages: find attorneys who specialize in family law and either buy an hour of their time, or find those who give free initial consults. They'll advertise the consult in the yellow page ads. For that matter, in CO they advertise in the newspaper's weekly television guide.

Get a list of questions together, including other specifics about this upcoming modification. Get your questions answered by a lawyer in your state. Get specifics to back up your position, and write a letter back.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Actually, now that I reread it, I think that IS what she meant - it's not the way I interpreted it on first reading. So my above response is idiotic. Luckily, you read it right and pointed it out AND OP PM'd me asking me to clarify - I likely wouldn't have come back and reread otherwise. I can't even claim lack of coffee since it was midday. So I guess I had a brain fart! :eek:

jimmysgirl2

to those who replied

thanks for rereading, but I figured if the lawyer thinks he has the right to my information, maybe there is a different point of view that I haven't explored.
I guess the next step is getting a lawyer. thanks for the input.

VeronicaGia

jimmysgirl2 said:
thanks for rereading, but I figured if the lawyer thinks he has the right to my information, maybe there is a different point of view that I haven't explored.
I guess the next step is getting a lawyer. thanks for the input.
Personally, I'd tell the lawyer to go pound sand. This is not a subpoena, right? If not, speak to an attorney, but tell her attorney to get lost.

Breakin'-up is hard to do

Don't send any information.

Maybe you just broke-up. Maybe you're only there until you can find another place to live. Maybe you're just there for a good time and don't contribute anything to the relationship financially.

Maybe you keep seperate bank accounts. Maybe he asked you and you just won't tell him. What's he to do?

Regardless, until you're ordered by the COURT, stand mute. Or sit mute...the court's not going to ask for the girlfriend's financial information. Who's helping support the ex or who's she living with? Did her att'y send you a copy of all of THEIR financial info?

The att'y can ASK for whatever they want. On the other hand, if a telemarketer calls your home tomorrow...Then, please provide your full name, date of birth, SSN, checking/savings acct number, employer info, tax returns, credit card numbers, real estate holdings, titles, deeds, stocks, bonds,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">