• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!!Federal Conviction of my husband using false name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cathybaers

What is the name of your state?California
Hi
I have a question in reference to my husband's arrest 5 years ago for 1 count of Mail fraud. From the day of arrest to the conviction they have not used his Legal name and social. He became a US citizen 11 years ago and the name was changed on the documents. Our marriage license and our daughter's birth record have his legal name. But for some odd reason without explaining they forced to use his previous name under which he should not be legal US citizen. The SSN used is that of his brother. Use of the old name on record was solely to show the Duty Magistrate that he is a flight risk being a foreign national therefore she should deny bail. Our attorney never thought much of that and said you are getting a good deal. After the arrest the gov was quiet for almost 4 years. The funniest thing is that 2 years later he had to go to Europe as his Mother was in the hospital and the court granted our plea travel out of the US and they give him his passport back for 2 weeks with his Legal Name. So when he came back after 2 weeks it was surrendered again. We were asked by our attorney to enter a plea of guilty on one count and get it over with and said you will get probation as a worst-case scenario. Till last month when the judge decided not to hear any more arguments and sentenced him to 10 months camp detention and 3 year full probation. He said at the end that he is to use his true legal name (under which he was arrested) on all his documents and not to use any other name. This was a big Jolt for us as this annuls everything we own, my daughter's records plus how possibly can he stay in the country. Please help as to if this is legal to force a name on someone and convict him?

Sincerely
Cathy

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">