• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was it illegal police entry?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LeviP

I live in Wyoming. At a Saint Patty's party I was of course drinking despite the fact that I am only 20. When the cops arrived a friend outside informed them that they didn't have permission to enter. He followed the officers to the door and could be a witness if needed. I was inside when the cops knocked. I was nearest the door and naturally opened it, but only slightly. After opening the door very little I saw two officers standing in front of the door before me. After asking if I was the owner of the house and myself telling them no, they wanted to proceed into the house. I once again told them that they did not have permission to enter the house. So I began to close the door and as I pushed the door shut the officer then pushed back on the door. The officer then requested that I locate the owner of the home so I left the door to find her. The moment I stepped away from the door the officers pushed it the rest of the way open and entered. They had no probable cause to enter and had arrived to respond to a noise complaint. Noise complaints can be dealt with without an officer entering the home, can they just force their way in without anyones permission? Should I take it to court.

BelizeBreeze

LeviP said:
I live in Wyoming. At a Saint Patty's party I was of course drinking despite the fact that I am only 20. When the cops arrived a friend outside informed them that they didn't have permission to enter. He followed the officers to the door and could be a witness if needed. I was inside when the cops knocked. I was nearest the door and naturally opened it, but only slightly. After opening the door very little I saw two officers standing in front of the door before me. After asking if I was the owner of the house and myself telling them no, they wanted to proceed into the house. I once again told them that they did not have permission to enter the house. So I began to close the door and as I pushed the door shut the officer then pushed back on the door. The officer then requested that I locate the owner of the home so I left the door to find her. The moment I stepped away from the door the officers pushed it the rest of the way open and entered. They had no probable cause to enter and had arrived to respond to a noise complaint. Noise complaints can be dealt with without an officer entering the home, can they just force their way in without anyones permission? Should I take it to court.
Take what to court? Are you asking one of the officers for a date? It was not your home, so unless you were arrested or suffered some other 'damage' you have no standing to do anything.

CdwJava

And, of course, if they were standing at the front door and saw illegal activity occuring (like underage drinking) then they could very well have exigency to make entry for a number of reasons.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">