• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnant single mom needs advice on rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katy913

What is the name of your state? Colorado

First time on here, please be patient! I am 14 weeks pregnant. The father and I were newly dating when it happened, but both agreed we wanted the baby. At 10 weeks I ended his and my relationship, after he would 'disappear' for weekends at a time, and showed no interest in the pregnancy. But, I openly said we should keep the lines of communication open for the future (so he could know the child, vice versa). However, he cut off communication, refused to have a much-needed blood test (I am a carrier of the CF gene and the baby is high risk for having the disease if the father is a crrier), refused to return personal property, and I recently found out he is on the dating scene (his perogative, but trying to paint the picture here).

Ultimately, I am going to need his help financially when the child is born - where do I stand with asking for child support but keeping him out of mine and the child's life? I know that sounds incredibly cruel but he has shown no interest in keeping communication open or trying to help with any emotional/financial issues. Does he have the right to come along and demand visitation after the baby's born despite his disinterest now?

S

sunsheyen

You will not be able to have the right to money without the man having the right to visit. He may be disinterested, but unless there is some extreme issue (convictions of certain crimes,etc) most likely he cannot be prevented from being in the childs life without a tpr which involves a mate to adopt in most cases.

He is not required to provide you with emotional or financial support.Nothing matters until that baby is born and paternity is established.

You need to get over him...you ended it, so why bother mentioning that he is on the dating scene and cut off communication. im not saying that to be mean, just dont turn into one of the bitter shrews who tries to trade money for visitation. plus you'll be a much better mom if you arent bitter about dad.

misslawli

After the baby is born, yes. He will have every right to file for visitation/custody. If he is not there to sign the Affidavit of Paternity, then paternity will have to be legally established through DNA. Then you will be able to file for child support. There is nothing that can be done until the baby is born. After the baby is born, it may take a while to get everything underway so it would be safer to not "rely" on anything but your self.
Good Luck!

misslawli

"You will not be able to have the right to money without the man having the right to visit."

Custody/visitation and child support are two seperate issues. If there is a court order for both, you can not deny visitation if he doesn't pay the support. and vice versa. You can get a child support order with out there being a visitation order. Not the safest way to go, but it happens. It is safer to get EVERYTHING done through the courts. ;)

TNBSMommy

Ultimately, I am going to need his help financially when the child is born
You really shouldn't rely on his CS to help you, even if you get a CO for CS, doesn't mean he will automatically and willingly pay it. My ex owes 28 thousand dollars in CS, we went to court(again) on Jan. 31, where the judge told him, "I don't like to put people in jail for nonpayment of CS, but there comes a time when nothing else seems to work. Starting this friday, for every friday there isn't a CS check in the system, you will spend 2 days in jail." We have a review coming up April 4, guess how much he has paid? Not one single red cent. He hasn't spent his two days a week in jail either.

I am not saying your ex will be like that when the time comes, I am just saying some of us have had to learn the hard way to support ourselves and the children, and if and when the CS even makes it here it is extra. You can't simply assume just b/c there is a CO there that it will get paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">