• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Free Speech And Forum With No Hostile Atmosphere

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randolph

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

If I am posting in the wrong place, please forgive me. I looked through the sections, and this one seemed most appropriate. I am setting up a new forum and I have a true dilema, and, please, help me think this through. I present this problem sincerely, and would like to hear your views. The most succinct way to state my case is with this entry:

See, I installed the forum for this site onto the server, though, I haven't had a chance yet to set it up. As I've been discussing the past few days, my major concern was how I could have this free speech forum and not be a total hypocrite if I felt inclined to take down a hateful message. Well, I've thought this out further, and, I'll say right off the bat that I'm not an attorney, nor am I any type of Constitutional expert. However, I do have a brain that I use intensively all the time, and I do have a few thoughts now:

See, we don't really have complete freedom of speech, and, frankly, I'm glad for that. For example, you can't choose a random stranger, follow her around the shopping mall, and repeat over and over, "You are totally worthless and need to terminate yourself." No, that's not permitted. That's harassment. Likewise, you can't call up people and threaten to harm them. Your speech is not free in that manner. Nor, as has been often pointed out, can you go into crowded movie theatre and yell, "Fire!" So, even in our so-called free speech society there already exist parameters. My main concern with the free speech issue and the forum is that I don't want anyone to feel threatened.... that's not quite the right word....I don't want anyone to have the power to turn a project that I worked so hard on from a positive into a negative, but that's not a good enough of a rationalization to justify anything, but, this is....I don't want anyone to be able to create a hostile environment. And, I believe that's where I'm going to plant my flag, because, correct me if I'm wrong, and I'll post a question on the legal forum later today, but I don't believe the First Amendment protects a person's right to free speech if such speech is deemed harassing or creates a hostile atmosphere. I'm going to look into this further, and, this also reinforces my belief that things don't really start getting interesting until you really get into them.
What do you think of my reasoning???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">