• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am owed over 40K in support!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fedupwithsystem

What is the name of your state? Missouri
I am a single parent of three, ages 10,13,15 and live in the state of Illinois. My ex lives in Missouri. I have been trying to enforce the child-support orders against my ex for 8-9 years. The original court order was for $250 every other week, plus half medical, half daycare. I have NOT taken him to court for a judgment for half of the medical. He currently owes me over 40K in support and arrearages. Over the last 7 years, I have gone round and round with the caseworkers at the family support division in MO. As they often change caseworkers, I find myself time and time again at the beginning. My case has been sent to the prosecutor only once, and at that time the judge was threatening jail, so he did employ himself for about 9 months with a garnish able income.
It has now been two years since he was employed at this job and often works for cash. I am very disappointed in a child support system that allows these deadbeat dads to get away with not supporting their children. He should be in jail by now. Can I file a lawsuit against the state of MO for failure to enforce the laws regarding child-support? Has anyone ever filed one?

What do you want MO to do?

Nobody's gonna make him get a job. Does he have anything of value?

Do you want him to be put in jail?

Instead of trying to take on the state, put the same money into having your attorney get your issues and your ex in front of the judge again. Maybe he'll get a job, maybe he'll start paying, maybe he'll go to jail.

backwardsrain

Fedupwithsystem said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri
I am a single parent of three, ages 10,13,15 and live in the state of Illinois. My ex lives in Missouri. I have been trying to enforce the child-support orders against my ex for 8-9 years. The original court order was for $250 every other week, plus half medical, half daycare. I have NOT taken him to court for a judgment for half of the medical. He currently owes me over 40K in support and arrearages. Over the last 7 years, I have gone round and round with the caseworkers at the family support division in MO. As they often change caseworkers, I find myself time and time again at the beginning. My case has been sent to the prosecutor only once, and at that time the judge was threatening jail, so he did employ himself for about 9 months with a garnish able income.
It has now been two years since he was employed at this job and often works for cash. I am very disappointed in a child support system that allows these deadbeat dads to get away with not supporting their children. He should be in jail by now. Can I file a lawsuit against the state of MO for failure to enforce the laws regarding child-support? Has anyone ever filed one?
Gosh... I know this is going to sound really bad, but when I was in jail 8 years ago (shoplifting) there were alot of guys, I mean alot that were in there for child support. Nobody I talked to owed more then 10k. WOW 40K?

Spend 500 bucks and get you and your attorney in front of a judge. Or have a meeting with a prosecutor. 40K OMG! I have to say taking someones freedom is the one thing that might make him start paying. If you don't want him to go to jail well then that is a different story. I think they can make him get a job now a days. The court calls it a gainful employment requirement. I dont' know your attorney could tell you for sure. Wow 40k ....oh wait I said that already :p

TTFN

Fedupwithsystem

Yes. The amount is owed is absurd

I guess I could hire an attorney, but keep in mind, I am raising three children without support. $500-$1000 is a lot to spend when I am paying for everything. I have no problem with him going to jail. If I can work 40+ hours a week, drive over an hour to work, drive my children to their sports, take care of my household, attend AYSO board meetings and attend college part time, my ex can be gainfully employed at a full-time job. He has not been arrested yet, which is crazy due to the arrearages. It is the states job to enforce the laws, which is why I think the state should be held responsible as well. Maybe a class action will wake up the system.

rmet4nzkx

You can file contempt without an attorney. Gee if he's not working, who is supporting him? Maybe he could collect aluminimum can's to pay his child support since he's not working or sell plasma. :rolleyes:

angela37

most wanted poster

Tennessee Dear fedupwithsystem: See if they will put him on a most wanted poster for the amount he owes. Maybe the embarrassment of it will get him to pay. Someone could turn him in for a reward. My ex owed 5000 and they put him on a poster and now he is paying regularly.

Fedupwithsystem

Hmm. Maybe a website...

Hmm. I wonder if I could create a webpage wanted poster. Is is legal? I know of a busy site that would let me link to it.
:p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">