• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ultimatum?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

time24go

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

I recently received a phone call from my ex-wife regarding the daycare cost for our 2 children. She said that she will have to find a part-time job for Friday and Saturday nights to help her cause. Apparently, her mother was going to help her sit the children during alternate weekends my ex-wife was responsible for. Now that her mother is dating someone new and hasn’t the time (which is perfectly OK), my ex-wife expects me to take them now. I told her that I work part-time on alternate weekends and that would interfere. I also told her it is beyond difficult for me to make ends meet as well. She exclaimed that I have the “leisure” to work at night and every other Saturday whereas she can’t because she has the children. She also said that I should give up working alternate Saturdays and just work nights instead. She also added that either I do this or she will have to move out of state (1400 miles away) where her father and step mom live and they’re “willing” to watch the children. Should I take this as an ultimatum? If she needs to work part-time, shouldn’t she hire someone to sit the children on her alternate weekend?

The stipulations of our decree indicate that I pay child support. – I’m current on that.
That I pay 50% of child care costs. – I do and I’m current.
Joint custody (non-custodial) with visitations every alternate weekend. – I get them no problems.

Move away

How far way is ex currently? Are there any type of move-away restrictions in your decree? You should take this 'ultimatum' seriously...you may wind-up back in court if she does move. It could be a BIG headache.

Remember, if you're ordered to pay half of the child care costs, you could ultimately be paying more if she has pay to have the children cared for while you're both working.

I hear where your coming from...You take care of the kids when you're supposed to, she should do likewise. I agree. But they're still your kids -- if there's anyway you can be the BIGGER parent (cut-back on work, temporarily have family help, take kids with you to work) it may buy you some points down the road. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">