• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support from SSI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tjhoesch

What is the name of your state? I am from Colorado. I recently received a large retroactive check from SSI but am afraid to cash it. Child support has a lien on my account. Can they take it if it's an SSI check? I went to one of those check cashing places and they wanted $200 to cash it. I plan to go back to court when I get more info. on my SSDI I will be receiving and child support payments will start, but what do I do until then? TJ

Phnx02

tjhoesch said:
What is the name of your state? I am from Colorado. I recently received a large retroactive check from SSI but am afraid to cash it. Child support has a lien on my account. Can they take it if it's an SSI check? I went to one of those check cashing places and they wanted $200 to cash it. I plan to go back to court when I get more info. on my SSDI I will be receiving and child support payments will start, but what do I do until then? TJ
Yes, child support can be deducted from your SSI checks. It's a form of income isn't it? If you already have a lien on your account for cs, you got lucky that they didn't figure this out before they sent you your money. Once they do figure out their mistake, they can certainly garnish your future payment(s) and/or order you to pay back the amount they overpaid. They are a government entity and do not have to account for this oversight.....once they catch it, you will have to pay.

Instead of being afraid to cash the check and keep all the money to yourself, why don't you think about your kids who have to eat and be clothed.........and pay child support as ordered like a decent, responsible parent!

Gracie3787

tjhoesch said:
First, is it a check for SSI or SSDI, there is a difference:

SSI- Supplemental Security Income- Is a form of welfare and therefore cannot be attached, garnished, or used as income for CS purposes.

SSDI- Social Security Disability Income- is a form of Social Security- and can be attached, garnished, and used as income for CS purposes.

LdiJ

Gracie3787 said:
First, is it a check for SSI or SSDI, there is a difference:

SSI- Supplemental Security Income- Is a form of welfare and therefore cannot be attached, garnished, or used as income for CS purposes.

SSDI- Social Security Disability Income- is a form of Social Security- and can be attached, garnished, and used as income for CS purposes.
That doesn't mean however that they won't seize the money from his bank account even if it IS SSI. They might still seize it and then make him jump through hoops to get it back.

Gracie3787

LdiJ said:
That doesn't mean however that they won't seize the money from his bank account even if it IS SSI. They might still seize it and then make him jump through hoops to get it back.
I know that, but I didn't mention it because, hey, if the guy knows that there is a lien on his bank account, and is crazy enough to put the money in anyway, then he desreves to have it taken even if it is SSI. ;)

BL

Let's answer the Legal Question :

We do not know how much is owed .

If you have a retroactive check , the bank can just cash that check and give you the money .

The bank can not seize it as it wasn't deposited .

Better yet ( light bulb on ! ) open a different account at a different bank , then cash it for cash .

What ever you do do NOT deposit it .

If you start receiving SSDI , the children will be eligible for a check(s) out of that each month . That can be used to offset any payments owed each month .

Morally , you should pay on arrears ..

Last edited:

tjhoesch

I am a responsible parent

It took me 3 years to get a diagnosis, in the meantime, I got fired from `13 jobs in 3 years because of absenteeism. Until I had a NAME for my illness, I couldn't get the support reduced. Then it took me 3 more years to get Disability (SSDI) . I am a 50 yr. old woman and my ex makes at least $50,000 year. He has already turned my 16 yr. old against me and I haven't seen him for almost a year now. I can't help it I got sick. It's bad enough I have to suffer from my illness, but I feel like I'm being punished for being sick. Oftentimes when I was working, by the time they took out taxes and child support I only had $500-$600 to live on a month! Is that fair? Especially when my ex let my daughter's teeth rot and not take care of it like he was suppose to while he buys himself property, motorhomes and new vehicles! Who doesn't care about the kids? My 19 yr. old daughter lives with me now. TJ

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">