• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandchildren in trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mama Julie

What is the name of your state? I am a grandmother of 4 boys. I live in Illinois and they are living in Missouri with different family members. My son has been "missing" for several months and evidently my daughter-in-law has been found by the State of Missouri to have "abandoned" her children. Supposedly she left them with her brother while she was at work and didn't come back for 2 days. Anyway, I have had the boys living with me on many different occasions and their maternal grandfather decided a few months ago that he would take them to his house and "keep them together". To my surprise the State of Missouri has stepped in and now the children are split (2 and 2) between two different maternal uncles. They have told me that they are getting custody of the two younger children (don't know what is happening to the older ones) and plan on raising them as their own until they are 18. My daughter-in-law would have no problem signing two of them over to me but when I called the State and talked to her caseworker she was more or less not willing to let me have anything to do with the situation and told me the children were fine where they were. Not knowing at that time that custody and also a mention of guardianship was going to take place I didn't push it. I have always told my daughter-in-law that I would take care of these children and have told her that I could take 2 of them (as they are already split up). She has no problemwith signing any paperwork that would state her wishes that I be given custody or guardianship or whatever the state is suggesting. Shouldn't the State of Missouri give me first asking when they are my grandchildren and I have provided for them many, many times before and the uncle and aunt have only had them for two weeks (they say). I have two children (ages 9 and 3) at home now and have already raised my other two children (age 24 and 20). If I could care for all four of them I would but seeing that the paternal family also wants to "help" I think taking two would be beneficial for all. We are close enough (40 minutes) from each other to keep ties from being broken. Please help before this goes to court (as I have been told that lawyers and the state are involved). I don't know but I could be getting the run around just to hold me off but just in case I intend to call the State early Monday morning and fight for my rights but am not sure what they are. Please help!!!!!!
P.S. The children have not been taken by the State, they are still residing with two different relatives in Missouri.

LdiJ

Mama Julie said:
What is the name of your state? I am a grandmother of 4 boys. I live in Illinois and they are living in Missouri with different family members. My son has been "missing" for several months and evidently my daughter-in-law has been found by the State of Missouri to have "abandoned" her children. Supposedly she left them with her brother while she was at work and didn't come back for 2 days. Anyway, I have had the boys living with me on many different occasions and their maternal grandfather decided a few months ago that he would take them to his house and "keep them together". To my surprise the State of Missouri has stepped in and now the children are split (2 and 2) between two different maternal uncles. They have told me that they are getting custody of the two younger children (don't know what is happening to the older ones) and plan on raising them as their own until they are 18. My daughter-in-law would have no problem signing two of them over to me but when I called the State and talked to her caseworker she was more or less not willing to let me have anything to do with the situation and told me the children were fine where they were. Not knowing at that time that custody and also a mention of guardianship was going to take place I didn't push it. I have always told my daughter-in-law that I would take care of these children and have told her that I could take 2 of them (as they are already split up). She has no problemwith signing any paperwork that would state her wishes that I be given custody or guardianship or whatever the state is suggesting. Shouldn't the State of Missouri give me first asking when they are my grandchildren and I have provided for them many, many times before and the uncle and aunt have only had them for two weeks (they say). I have two children (ages 9 and 3) at home now and have already raised my other two children (age 24 and 20). If I could care for all four of them I would but seeing that the paternal family also wants to "help" I think taking two would be beneficial for all. We are close enough (40 minutes) from each other to keep ties from being broken. Please help before this goes to court (as I have been told that lawyers and the state are involved). I don't know but I could be getting the run around just to hold me off but just in case I intend to call the State early Monday morning and fight for my rights but am not sure what they are. Please help!!!!!!
P.S. The children have not been taken by the State, they are still residing with two different relatives in Missouri.
The state frequently leans towards "in state" relatives as opposed to "out of state" relatives when the kids require care. Quite frankly you would probably have a greater shot at custody if you were willing and able to take all 4 of them so that they could remain together. Otherwise you are going to be competely against relatives who basically have the same standing that you have. This probably isn't something that you should attempt without an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">