• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Camera Lawsuit? Yikes!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Weezie0119

What is the name of your state? Virginia

New neighbors moved in next door about a year ago, and since then I have been called as a witness against him for his violating the noise ordinance here. First time he was found guilty, fined and put on probation for two years. Second time he was again found guilty, but appealed. Third time (the appeal) he was NOT found guilty. I was advised by the court that if the loud music, loud conversation and lewd language continued, that I should get a tape recorder and record it and then present it to the court. I asked if I could use video cameras and was told that I could, as long as they were in open view. So I put security cameras up. Now the neighbor says that he will start a lawsuit against me and sue me because I am recording him...both sound and video. Can I be sued for putting security cameras up on my property? I am a nervous wreck over this, and I'm afraid of these neighbors doing some harm to me or my property. (Moving is not an option right now) Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks very much.

JETX

Weezie0119 said:
Can I be sued for putting security cameras up on my property?
Yes, you can be sued. Anyone can sue almost anyone else over almost anything. However, his suit should be easily dismissed.... if he is stupid enough to file in the first place.

Weezie0119

JETX said:
Yes, you can be sued. Anyone can sue almost anyone else over almost anything. However, his suit should be easily dismissed.... if he is stupid enough to file in the first place.

Oh, I'm sure he will file if he is able to. He seems to be very angry about this, and I am really worried. The last thing that I need or can afford is a lawsuit of some sort! I just don't know if he has a valid basis for filing a case against me though, and that is what I was trying to find out. But you are right.....anybody can sue for anything, I guess. Thanks for your reply.

trumptman

The point is he trying to put across is that he could already sue you right now if he wants to do so. The reason doesn't need to be valid and don't even need to be based off your actions. A lawsuit without merit will be dismissed.

He could go into court today and sue you for being a purple monster from Mars that is sending evil mind control waves into his brain. You and your actions would have nothing to do with his desire to sue. However such a suit would easily be dismissed unless of course they found proof of your mind control machine in the basement.

Trumptman

ms.magoo

Security Camera Lawsuit? Yikes!!!

I just had to post on this one. That has to be the most original answer Trumptman I've come across on this board, lol. But I do also have a concern as well about you video cameraing your neighbour. I'm not sure about the laws on this, but, I think that taping a person that is in the general public is allright, but not when you're also taping what they say at the same time. I think you would need that persons permission to use any audio that the person says on that recorded tape. Also another area I would be very wary about would be if you were video taping inside of the neighbours house or windows, then it could very well turn into a invasion of privacy case, with that being in your neighbours favour, not yours. If I were you, I would fer sure go to a good attorney an ask him about all of this, and what, or what not, you can legally do with your security camera's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">